• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bird broke two small blood feathers, what should I do?

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
Hey everyone.

My Pineapple conure broke two small blood feathers on her back (not wing feathers.) Both seem to mostly have stopped bleeding but she's still trying to preen and stuff in that area.
I'm not sure if I should use these hemostat things I have to try the clamp the end of it shut? Or should I just leave it be?

How can I stop her from trying to preen/chew on them further?

I'm most concerned about leaving them be and putting her to bed in a bit and her bleeding while I'm asleep tonight.

Thanks!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If the bleeding hasn’t stopped then you want to use corn starch/plain flour and gentle but form pressure to clot the blood and stop the bleeding.
If they’re not bothering your bird once the bleeding has stopped then nothing to worry about.
If they are annoying your bird or you can’t get the blood to clot them call your vet.

I won’t ever recommend for anyone (without proper training from the avian vet) to pull the broken feathers out as more damage and discomfort can be done to the bird if it’s done wrong

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
If the bleeding hasn’t stopped then you want to use corn starch/plain flour and gentle but form pressure to clot the blood and stop the bleeding.
If they’re not bothering your bird once the bleeding has stopped then nothing to worry about.
If they are annoying your bird or you can’t get the blood to clot them call your vet.

I won’t ever recommend for anyone (without proper training from the avian vet) to pull the broken feathers out as more damage and discomfort can be done to the bird if it’s done wrong

Thank you for your reply, this has happened before so I'm not totally panicking this time but still worried since it's two feathers and she keeps chewing on feathers back there.
I'm concerned of her reopening the shaft and it bleeding more after I cover her up for bed.
I haven't noticed anymore bleeding since I first noticed it about an hour or so ago.

Do you think it's safe to put her in bed and cover her up for the night or should I keep an eye on her?

Should I pinch the end of the pin feather to keep it from bleeding or leave it be?

Thank you again, hopefully this all made sense, I'm tired!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If the broken bit has stopped leaking and the blood has congealed then I would leave it alone as pinching it may break the clot and start the blood flow again.

I can't really answer about you putting her to bed as I do not know your bird- this is going to have to be your call I am sorry.
What I am comfortable to say is... If it was my bird and they were fussing I would keep an eye on them till I was sure they were ok and settled (most likely to leave it be overnight) or going to continue to be annoying it or bothered by it before I made my call on if I would just go to bed and leave them be or keep up the regular checking overnight.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
If the broken bit has stopped leaking and the blood has congealed then I would leave it alone as pinching it may break the clot and start the blood flow again.

I can't really answer about you putting her to bed as I do not know your bird- this is going to have to be your call I am sorry.
What I am comfortable to say is... If it was my bird and they were fussing I would keep an eye on them till I was sure they were ok and settled (most likely to leave it be overnight) or going to continue to be annoying it or bothered by it before I made my call on if I would just go to bed and leave them be or keep up the regular checking overnight.

Thank you, what would you considered to be "fussing"?

I will say, she is crazy hyper right now, she isn't usually at this time but she's running around all over the place and super chatty which she usually quiets down at this time, I'm unsure it's related to the feathers or not.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard

I just covered her up for bed but before doing so, realized she also chewed more feather on the front of her chest area so those are bleeding too well, they're clotted as far as I could tell so I'm not sure why she is doing this.
She's just super over active tonight and chewing on her feathers. Not sure if she is stressed, nothing has changed much lately so I'm not sure but I'm considering getting her one of those anti plucking collars.

Agh

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would not just settle for a collar.
You really need to find out (if you can) why this is happening. A vet appointment to rule out skin issues, pain or any other health problems should be the first thing you consider, please do not just assume your bird needs a collar to fix the issue without having it fully checked out and treated by a vet first.

Maybe give some more information about your little one for others to offer help when they are online.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
I would not just settle for a collar.
You really need to find out (if you can) why this is happening. A vet appointment to rule out skin issues, pain or any other health problems should be the first thing you consider, please do not just assume your bird needs a collar to fix the issue without having it fully checked out and treated by a vet first.

Maybe give some more information about your little one for others to offer help when they are online.

I definitely will have her checked out by the vet, she seems to do it off and on.
She was doing this before but after awhile she stopped doing it for months then picked it back up again recently.
I hate that she does it because her feathers look terrible and I'm sure it's uncomfortable for her.

I'm not exactly sure what causes it, I've wondered if it's stress but I'm unsure what the stressor might be for her.
I'll take her to the vet in the next week or so and hopefully they'll be able to give me some ideas on why she is doing it.

Thank you for your replies! I appreciate it very much!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I definitely will have her checked out by the vet, she seems to do it off and on.
She was doing this before but after awhile she stopped doing it for months then picked it back up again recently.
I hate that she does it because her feathers look terrible and I'm sure it's uncomfortable for her.

I'm not exactly sure what causes it, I've wondered if it's stress but I'm unsure what the stressor might be for her.
I'll take her to the vet in the next week or so and hopefully they'll be able to give me some ideas on why she is doing it.

Thank you for your replies! I appreciate it very much!
Maybe start keeping a journal on your birds general diet, exercise, any special treats or outings etc, and see if you can start to pin point any patterns or possible triggers.
The vet visit for plucking is a must though. Not all plucking starts from boredom or stress so best to rule medical issues out.