• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird bread storage question

Kiwimommy

Walking the driveway
So I've seen a few of you make birdie bread for your fids. I'm curious now..how do you store it so it doesn't go bad before you use it all? Can you freeze it? Refrigerate? I want to give it a try but wasn't sure how I'd keep it fresh for them since they wouldn't eat it all in a day or so.

sweet francis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
lindsey
I freeze it in baggies with about 2-3 days worth in each bag. I then thaw one in refrigerator in the morning whenever I need it that evening. I will then pop it in the toaster oven to heat it up a bit before I serve it to the birdies.

Feather Mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Gretchen
I also store mine in the freezer. Little snack size bags with enough for one day for all the birds.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I also put them into small bags that will last a couple days then freeze them. I put them in the fridge when I want to use them and sometimes I'll heat them up, sometimes I won't. Funny, I just pulled a bag out of the freezer this morning lol.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I cut into serving sizes, freeze on a cookie sheet, and then put in a freezer bag after its frozen.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I pretty much do the above and freeze. I like to use the back end of a wooden spoon to make a donut hole, which you can then place on a skewer or string for foraging. My green cheek adores these, and I sneak a lot of veg in this way.

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
I make my birdie bread in a 9x13 pan then cut it into squares that I know will feed the whole flock each day. I freeze all of the squares together in a Ziploc freezer bag and take one out every morning. 35 seconds in the microwave is all it takes to get it nice and warm, then I cut that square up and distribute.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I pretty much do the above and freeze. I like to use the back end of a wooden spoon to make a donut hole, which you can then place on a skewer or string for foraging. My green cheek adores these, and I sneak a lot of veg in this way.
Great idea!