• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird body language

JamieBird

Moving in
Real Name
Danielle Goodall
So I've read so much about conures. I've read magazines, text books, Google, just about anything I can get my hands on. But it still doesn't prepare you for all the language of a conure!

My husband and I were in disagreement. We recently had a new person hold my bird, and I've never seen my bird Bob it's head before! Never ever, my husband said it was excitement. But I got the feeling jamie was stressed.

I went to prove him wrong and actually just found that it was a excited behavior.

But then today, we had to take poor Jamie to the vet to finally figure out her gender. She seemed content most the time but something was telling me she wasn't. All of a sudden she started the head bobbing again, and then started throwing up! Clearly she got overly stressed!

Are their any behaviors your birds have had that were confusing signals in the beginning until one day it became clear what it meant?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The bobbing head doesn't have a "specific" meaning. The first was was excitement. The second time was stress. It was a reaction to stimulus. Understanding the nuances of your birds body language comes down to familiarity and "knowing" your bird to make the right interpretation. All of that takes time. There are no shortcuts to that.

You didn't say how long you've had your bird?

JamieBird

Moving in
Real Name
Danielle Goodall
I rescued her a couple months ago. She was considered aggressive when I first adopted her, still a baby and was mistreated. She's been doing tons better since she's been with me. She's still very timid of everything but I don't consider her aggressive anymore. She doesn't aggressively bite any longer and has become very loving. She loves her people and always wants to be with us. She's literally scared of EVERYTHING and I have to show her it's okay before she will come near it.

Her toys I have to hold and play with in front of her before she will come near them, then when she learns it's safe she loves it. And same with her food. I have to taste it before she will come near it.

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
Excitement can be good or bad - poor Jamie! You said in your other post that you've already learned so much from her - there's so much more to come, enjoy the adventure!

Have you found out if she's really 'she' yet, by the way?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I think her head bobbing and "vomiting" be regurgitation.

JamieBird

Moving in
Real Name
Danielle Goodall
Not yet haha. I'll find out in a few days once they get the results! It will be nice to finally know. Thank you for the support!