• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird biting (help!)

Aikofurr

Checking out the neighborhood
So we've had our lovie for a couple months now, he/she is 1 year old now.

So he/she is never one to bite. Even when picking up or doing very stressful things he/she would never bite or act aggressive.

He/she is getting more tame. He/she will happily come onto your finger and allow with hesitation for you to touch him/her when you have treats and he shows much less fear and hesitation with this.

Recently though, if he/she flies up to you (for example if he/she flies onto your phone or computer) he/she will proceed to constantly go to attack your fingers, it doesn't break skin but it can be quite nasty, and it feels really strange as he/she isn't one to bite as is and there's no threat as he/she was the one to initiate it completley.
Same applies if you just go to put your fingers near him/her, he/she will just go to nip you quite madly.

I'm just wondering the best way to train out this behaviour as you can't exactly get a bird to go back in its cage very easily or give them some sort of punishment. The only way to get him/her in his/her cage is with bird sounds but he/she could just choose to ignore this or with treats but that is the complete opposite of what I want to give him/her.

Any advice? At the moment when he/she does it I generally just point my finger at him/her and scold him/her, and if he/she carries on force him/her to fly away from me and not allow him/her back on the computer. Is there a better way to do this??

Thanks for all the help,
a stressed new bird mum

Kate&Pigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kate
Hello, I've never had a love bird, I have Senegals and one of mine has been going through a bitey phase. I think my mistake has been failing to read his warning signs ahead of time, so now he doesn't bother to announce he's irritated and goes straight to a nip instead. I'm trying to modify my behaviour, pay him more attention and show him I'm listening. Maybe your bird is having a similar issue with you? Wiggling your finger at him might be frightening him a bit? Best of luck.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Using the computer or the phone is a trigger so dont use either when the bird is out i am fine on my phone but my conure attacks my wife so she just cant use her phone.
I would say dont put your finger near him allow him to come to your finger.
If he does and steps up offer a treat.

If he bites place him down on a bird safe surface and turn your back on him.
Say No ! Or No biting but scolding the bird will just aggitate the bird.
When bitten the less you react is the best course to take.

Does he step up onto a perch ? This would be the most effective way For the time being to get him back into the cage, If he does and go's back in the cage offer a treat as he is doing what you want him to.

What training have you done with him ?

@Zara has a few lovebirds and may have some species specific advice.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It may be that they see you fingers' activity as 'playing' and they want to join in, either to play with your fingers or the keyboard. In this respect @Wardy has already given great advice. Or you could get them their own keyboard. A cheap broken one will likely do the job - they do love popping the caps off, ask Zara!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
they do love popping the caps off, ask Zara!
:lol: yes the keyboard on my laptop is unusable thanks to the birds.

Already good advice here in the comments. Just keep in mind that pointed fingers can seem scary and cause a bird to bite them. And also to remember not to use the cage as punishment. Use the method Wardy said instead.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Hello, I've never had a love bird, I have Senegals and one of mine has been going through a bitey phase. I think my mistake has been failing to read his warning signs ahead of time, so now he doesn't bother to announce he's irritated and goes straight to a nip instead. I'm trying to modify my behaviour, pay him more attention and show him I'm listening. Maybe your bird is having a similar issue with you? Wiggling your finger at him might be frightening him a bit? Best of luck.
I had one handle-able female pet Senegal--- fake attack: she would 'viscously terrorize' my fingers when I'd pick her up from inside the cage. She NEVER bit down, but I ignored it... I think if I would have reacted, then it might have turned into an actual bite.
For me, I found that 'fake' crying works... When my Ricky decides to bite, I cry loudly and verbally reprimand him... He bows his head like he's sorry. And STOPS. Now that I've been giving fairly regular treats for good behavior/ no screaming... he hasn't bit me in a long time! YEAH!
Some people think Senegals have an attack look in their eyes.. [that's how I was able to get my 1st pair--- THANK YOU LORD! ] --- LOVE those guys!

Kate&Pigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kate
I had one handle-able female pet Senegal--- fake attack: she would 'viscously terrorize' my fingers when I'd pick her up from inside the cage. She NEVER bit down, but I ignored it... I think if I would have reacted, then it might have turned into an actual bite.
For me, I found that 'fake' crying works... When my Ricky decides to bite, I cry loudly and verbally reprimand him... He bows his head like he's sorry. And STOPS. Now that I've been giving fairly regular treats for good behavior/ no screaming... he hasn't bit me in a long time! YEAH!
Some people think Senegals have an attack look in their eyes.. [that's how I was able to get my 1st pair--- THANK YOU LORD! ] --- LOVE those guys!
Ooh that's interesting, thanks Pat! Mine are rescues, so they have a few trust issues. I'll give that a try. Thanks!