• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird biting and won't let go

Kayandkotori

Moving in
Hello, I have a pineapple GCC that used to absolutely love pets and hate getting on my hand. I've had him for about a month. After a bunch of treats and encouragement, he will finally step out of the cage onto my hand beautifully - but only on this occasion, as he won't step on my fingers at all once he's settled somewhere else (his perch, my shoulder, etc). Lately he has taken to biting and not letting go. Sometimes he'll climb out of the cage without a struggle, sometimes he'll bite hard enough to break the skin and refuse to let go (I almost had to close the cage with his head sticking out because he had bitten hard enough that nothing could knock him off!). I have to shake myself free or close the cage on him. I then discipline him by not giving him attention for a while.

This also happens if he manages to get on my shoulder. Treats (high and low level - I've tried millet, his usual food, dried fruits and nuts, you name it) don't seem to make an impact on him anymore, and he hates when I try to make him stand on a plastic perch to spare my fingers. So he'll stay on my shoulder forever and refuse to get on my hand. I don't pick him up on my own because he hates that and will absolutely begin biting when I do it.

My fingers are torn to shreds by now because I've been trying to show that I'm not scared of him by flinching away. I need either a) something I can do for my hands (gloves? but i'm afraid he'll bite harder. I had a cinnamon GCC that used to screech and run away when he spotted gloves) and b) figure out how to stop him from biting so hard. I know birds bite, and that's why I try to trust him and end up with bloody fingers. Sometimes he'll be good for ten, twenty minutes before the biting starts. I just can't make rhyme or reason of what he wants or what he's afraid of.

Note: pretty sure he came from a pet store so I'm not sure what kind of treatment he received in the past. But when I first got him, he loved being pet and never bit when I tried to pet him. Now he'll bite all the time, even if he begs to be let out of his cage and I put my fingers out for him to step up.

I'm not going to give up on him; this is his forever home, whether or bites me to death or not. But I could really use some advice given treats and punishment (e.g. putting him in the cage and walking away) don't work.

Kayandkotori

Moving in
Belatedly realized I posted this to the wrong place. Excuse me while I try to figure out if I can delete it...

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It looks like a very common trait and will continue unless you curb it sooner rather than later!

Under no circumstances should you allow your fid to go any where near your hands or body if he / she bites!

A bite is a reward to them and until they bond with you it will continue! Once they have bonded, it’s a different kettle of fish and you can work towards a resolution! Until then... t stick or perch! No hands!

Merry Christmas! :)

Kayandkotori

Moving in
It looks like a very common trait and will continue unless you curb it sooner rather than later!

Under no circumstances should you allow your fid to go any where near your hands or body if he / she bites!

A bite is a reward to them and until they bond with you it will continue! Once they have bonded, it’s a different kettle of fish and you can work towards a resolution! Until then... t stick or perch! No hands!

Merry Christmas! :)
Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. My previous GCC never bit me like this. From the beginning it was pretty sweet to me so I never had this problem. All of that to say, how am I going to know when my new birdie has bonded with me? And do you have any advice on how to make that happen? I had thought that that was what I was doing with it all this time, but it makes sense they wouldn't be so aggressive with me if we were bonded.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It is something that only your fid can tell you! Sometimes it’s almost immediately and other times months or years!

Never give up is the golden rule and fids LOVE a routine...:)

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I've been trying to show that I'm not scared of him by flinching away.
This part worries me.

Move your hands away when you first notice he's posturing to bite, don't wait until he's latched on. By ignoring his warnings and subsequent bites, you're not teaching him his bites don't scare you - you're teaching him they're not enough to make you listen and respect his boundaries, which I suspect is what is causing him to bite harder and not let go.

You need to teach him that he doesn't need to bite, not that biting does nothing.

Kayandkotori

Moving in
This part worries me.

Move your hands away when you first notice he's posturing to bite, don't wait until he's latched on. By ignoring his warnings and subsequent bites, you're not teaching him his bites don't scare you - you're teaching him they're not enough to make you listen and respect his boundaries, which I suspect is what is causing him to bite harder and not let go.

You need to teach him that he doesn't need to bite, not that biting does nothing.
Thank you, that is such good advice. I was told that birds will automatically start biting at you if you show fear, but thinking about it...that sounds more like a dog trait rather than the truth. I'll give this a go. I will admit that when I used to flinch when I first got him, I still got bit from time to time, but we got along a lot better. It could be that trying to brave the bites made it worse.