• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird bite photos (Warning ~ Graphic)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@sunnysmom I am so sorry Elvis got you :( and the cat too :shifty:
I have had the exact same thing happen to me but thankfully although Burt was over excited and a bit rough he realised he got me instead of the pair of socks we play throw and catch with. It’s very easy to get distracted and caught out with this game.
I hope your battle wounds heal quickly!!
Thank you. What is it with birds and catch? LOL. I never realized it was thing until Elvis. He's obsessed with playing catch. He actually will sit and pout until we play now.

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Tinker is the sameway when he gets all excited playing. Today he nailed me on the back of the hand while I was playing with his feet. He's been good all week with this till tonight.

My hand looks like a junkies arm right now. Nice straight line as well.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I don't have a pic, because I have it bandaged up. I might try to take one later- but I got my first semi--bad bite from Elvis. And it was completely my fault. He was super wound up last night. I knew it. He wanted to play catch and I wasn't paying close enough attention. He grabbed my thumb instead of the hat we were playing catch with. Got me good- and didn't immediately let go. In the past when I've gotten some little accidental nips from him, he always seemed immediately apologetic. Giving my kisses, etc. Last night, it's like he didn't even care. He just wanted to play. I probably shouldn't have even tried playing catch with him at all knowing he was that excited to begin with. Although not a big bite, it's deep and keeps bleeding even today. I probably could have had a stitch or two. And the of course, he scrapped the other side of thumb too but not nearly as bad as the puncture. Sigh. (And then my feral outdoor cat that I feed scratched me last night too. So not my night.)
Do keep an eye on the cat scratch for any signs of infection. On another note... a couple weeks ago Mr. Kissy pants Bob bit my lower lip and hung on when I took him out of his cage to carry into the kitchen for his evening meal. Bob is always a kisser... says "Gimme Kiss" and presses his beak to my lips over and over. That night he must have been in a real snit. No more kisses for Bob! That's the first time since he's been here ( since 2010 I think... I'd have to look back at his DNA papers) that he's done that. He's bitten my hand a couple times but usually a little gentleman.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Do keep an eye on the cat scratch for any signs of infection. On another note... a couple weeks ago Mr. Kissy pants Bob bit my lower lip and hung on when I took him out of his cage to carry into the kitchen for his evening meal. Bob is always a kisser... says "Gimme Kiss" and presses his beak to my lips over and over. That night he must have been in a real snit. No more kisses for Bob! That's the first time since he's been here ( since 2010 I think... I'd have to look back at his DNA papers) that he's done that. He's bitten my hand a couple times but usually a little gentleman.
Oh my. That sounds painful. And I will watch the scratch thanks. She's really good actually for a feral but I think was upset I wasn't paying attention to her. Sounds like the birds. Lol.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh my. That sounds painful. And I will watch the scratch thanks. She's really good actually for a feral but I think was upset I wasn't paying attention to her. Sounds like the birds. Lol.
Yes! Hurt like the dickens and left two hole inside and outside of my lower lip.. thank goodness he's a small bird and not a zon or cockatoo! Poor Bob.... misses his kisses. Not falling for that again!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I don't have a pic, because I have it bandaged up. I might try to take one later- but I got my first semi--bad bite from Elvis. And it was completely my fault. He was super wound up last night. I knew it. He wanted to play catch and I wasn't paying close enough attention. He grabbed my thumb instead of the hat we were playing catch with. Got me good- and didn't immediately let go. In the past when I've gotten some little accidental nips from him, he always seemed immediately apologetic. Giving my kisses, etc. Last night, it's like he didn't even care. He just wanted to play. I probably shouldn't have even tried playing catch with him at all knowing he was that excited to begin with. Although not a big bite, it's deep and keeps bleeding even today. I probably could have had a stitch or two. And the of course, he scrapped the other side of thumb too but not nearly as bad as the puncture. Sigh. (And then my feral outdoor cat that I feed scratched me last night too. So not my night.)
Now you are an official cockatoo owner. :lol: :hug8:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Joey has been practicing his body piercing skills this week. He tries to attack me daily. got me good a couple of times.
:faint:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Now you are an official cockatoo owner. :lol: :hug8:
LOL. Thanks. Only bird people get it. I had brunch with two of my girlfriends yesterday and told them about the bite and they looked horrified. A couple months ago, I was at the adoption coordinator for our local rescue's house. While I was talking to her, I stupidly put my hand on one of the bird's cage. I didn't even thing about what I was doing. And of course, the bird sliced my finger open. We kept talking- I was either picking up or dropping off birds- I don't remember which now and we were engrossed in the bird discussion. I look at my finger with blood running down it. She hands me a Kleenex. We keep talking. A few minutes later, she hands me a bandage. We keep talking. And then a bit later, she looks at me and says- you realize most people would think we're crazy. Your finger just got sliced open and neither of us batted an eye. Lol. I guess that's what happens when you become crazy bird people. ;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
And Elvis got me again this morning....... :grumpy: Just as my right thumb was pretty much healed, he got my left thumb. It's completely because he's obsessed with playing catch. It's all he wants to do when he's out of his cage. And I know some of you are thinking- don't play it if you keep getting bit. LOL. But it's such good exercise for him and he really loves it. I try to take a break when I see he's getting overly excited, but clearly this morning I was not being careful enough. So, now that I'm getting experienced enough to analyze a 'too bite, I have decided it's really not the puncturing of the skin that's the worst part. It's the vise-like crushing of the finger that's the real pain. This bite wasn't nearly as deep as my last one but I think it hurt equally because of the crushing of the finger. And he was playing- it was unintentional. Those bigger beaks must be able to snap fingers.....

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
And Elvis got me again this morning....... :grumpy: Just as my right thumb was pretty much healed, he got my left thumb. It's completely because he's obsessed with playing catch. It's all he wants to do when he's out of his cage. And I know some of you are thinking- don't play it if you keep getting bit. LOL. But it's such good exercise for him and he really loves it. I try to take a break when I see he's getting overly excited, but clearly this morning I was not being careful enough. So, now that I'm getting experienced enough to analyze a 'too bite, I have decided it's really not the puncturing of the skin that's the worst part. It's the vise-like crushing of the finger that's the real pain. This bite wasn't nearly as deep as my last one but I think it hurt equally because of the crushing of the finger. And he was playing- it was unintentional. Those bigger beaks must be able to snap fingers.....
Boy... every time this thread pops up... I'm "UH OH"... sorry he got you again!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@sunnysmom :hug8: You're a good birdie mom, sacrificing your thumbs to play fletch! :heart: I hope your thumbs heal up fast and hopefully you won't get nailed again for a while
Thanks. We're working on stationing before I throw the hat. He's caught on really fast. Gives him a moment to calm down and keeps my hands away . It's working pretty well. I just messed up this morning. Hopefully it will prevent further bites.