• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird bite photos (Warning ~ Graphic)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I though I might need a stitch at first but the flap went back nicely after I cleaned it
See that’s something only A parrot owner would say. “It’s only a flesh wound. Rub some dirt in it and we’re good. :lol:

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
I can totally relate! I honestly was wishing I could clip him too but I knew I'd regret it so I didn't
When Tinker lost two main flight feathers in the same wing he broke two from crashing he was dependant on me to move him around. This made him docile and I knew he hated it.
I would rather have him spunky little devil so no clipping.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
See that’s something only A parrot owner would say. “It’s only a flesh wound. Rub some dirt in it and we’re good. :lol:
I actually DID say that at the trauma center 10 years ago when they wheeled me in after I fell from the third layer of scaffolding at work:cool: At least the it's only a flesh wound part. I of course don't remember any of that because I also had a severe concussion and didn't come out of it till they were rolling me into my room. My family all laughed and agreed that'd be something I'd say.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I actually DID say that at the trauma center 10 years ago when they wheeled me in after I fell from the third layer of scaffolding at work:cool: At least the it's only a flesh wound part. I of course don't remember any of that because I also had a severe concussion and didn't come out of it till they were rolling me into my room. My family all laughed and agreed that'd be something I'd say.
"It's a flesh wound"...lol...I laughed so hard over this video!!!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Percy nipped bit me 21 times in a row I would wave my hand to get him off he would fly off my hand then fly back and bite again I guess I’m lucky that he was not biting my face I told him I would not rehome him no matter what I had him 15 years before I had to rehome him due to a change in city ordinance

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Percy nipped bit me 21 times in a row I would wave my hand to get him off he would fly off my hand then fly back and bite again I guess I’m lucky that he was not biting my face I told him I would not rehome him no matter what I had him 15 years before I had to rehome him due to a change in city ordinance
:sadhug2:

@CrazyBirdChick Welcome to the "Give blood - Own a Parrot" club!
Lol! I haven hand blood plenty of times so now I'm in the face blood club

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have a pic, because I have it bandaged up. I might try to take one later- but I got my first semi--bad bite from Elvis. And it was completely my fault. He was super wound up last night. I knew it. He wanted to play catch and I wasn't paying close enough attention. He grabbed my thumb instead of the hat we were playing catch with. Got me good- and didn't immediately let go. In the past when I've gotten some little accidental nips from him, he always seemed immediately apologetic. Giving my kisses, etc. Last night, it's like he didn't even care. He just wanted to play. I probably shouldn't have even tried playing catch with him at all knowing he was that excited to begin with. Although not a big bite, it's deep and keeps bleeding even today. I probably could have had a stitch or two. And the of course, he scrapped the other side of thumb too but not nearly as bad as the puncture. Sigh. (And then my feral outdoor cat that I feed scratched me last night too. So not my night.)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So sorry. :(

Last night, it's like he didn't even care. He just wanted to play. I probably shouldn't have even tried playing catch with him at all knowing he was that excited to begin with.
I still continue to play with them when they are excited, but I always have one toy between their beak and my hand. If they are getting angry/to exited while playing I just leave the game. That way they will learn how to play gentle, and they do.

When they are to exited they can fast decide that that toy is theirs and will taught you a lesson for touching it.
And don't ask why I know this. (Some things you learn the hard way)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry. :(

I still continue to play with them when they are excited, but I always have one toy between their beak and my hand. If they are getting angry/to exited while playing I just leave the game. That way they will learn how to play gentle, and they do.

When they are to exited they can fast decide that that toy is theirs and will taught you a lesson for touching it.
And don't ask why I know this. (Some things you learn the hard way)
Exactly. And I'm usually pretty good about keeping my hands away and walking away when I see Elvis getting too wound up. I just wasn't careful enough. I had a bunch of work issues I was thinking about and was just a bit too distracted. A reminder to myself that when playing with Elvis, all attention must be on Elvis! :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry you got bit so badly, it sounds painful! At least it doesn’t seam like it was intentional, but an apology would have been nice! :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I’m sorry you got bit so badly, it sounds painful! At least it doesn’t seam like it was intentional, but an apology would have been nice! :hug8:
Thanks. I just reread my post and it sounds whinier than I meant it to. LOL. Yes, an apology would have been nice. And he usually is apologetic- he was just so wound up I think he was oblivious, which goes back to that I should have been more careful. He didn't do it on purpose.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thanks. I just reread my post and it sounds whinier than I meant it to. LOL. Yes, an apology would have been nice. And he usually is apologetic- he was just so wound up I think he was oblivious, which goes back to that I should have been more careful. He didn't do it on purpose.
:laugh:

Whining is surely allowed in the bite forum!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Whine all you want dearie... we know how much it hurts and stings our emotions to get a bite even when it seems like an accident or a bad decision on our part. I've only ever been bitten twice by Henry in my 14 years with him and both times it was my fault. The last time I was just trying to calm the savage beast and leave him on a good note.... not. He's not a sneaky biter. He was very charged up so I locked him up and asked for a head skritch and he let me do just that but with bars between us. After a few seconds he grabbed one of my fingers so quick... and didn't let go. I couldn't help my scream of "OOOOWWWW!" My husband heard me all the way upstairs. My finger was punctured and I had a numbness that didn't go away for 2 or more months. I thought I had permanent nerve damage. He still gets scritches when he wants them and lately he's been asking for them because his head is super itchy with a lot of new pinnies. I relish the times I'm allowed to do this for him but I always feel like I'm treading on thin ice when he flinches because it's sensitive. Less scritching and more of a head massage and I try to find the areas where there's more skin to scratch. I love it when he really enjoys it and closes his eyes with enjoyment. His cheeks and neck are incredibly muscular!!!! I quit and leave him wanting more so I don't wear my welcome out!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Whine all you want dearie... we know how much it hurts and stings our emotions to get a bite even when it seems like an accident or a bad decision on our part. I've only ever been bitten twice by Henry in my 14 years with him and both times it was my fault. The last time I was just trying to calm the savage beast and leave him on a good note.... not. He's not a sneaky biter. He was very charged up so I locked him up and asked for a head skritch and he let me do just that but with bars between us. After a few seconds he grabbed one of my fingers so quick... and didn't let go. I couldn't help my scream of "OOOOWWWW!" My husband heard me all the way upstairs. My finger was punctured and I had a numbness that didn't go away for 2 or more months. I thought I had permanent nerve damage. He still gets scritches when he wants them and lately he's been asking for them because his head is super itchy with a lot of new pinnies. I relish the times I'm allowed to do this for him but I always feel like I'm treading on thin ice when he flinches because it's sensitive. Less scritching and more of a head massage and I try to find the areas where there's more skin to scratch. I love it when he really enjoys it and closes his eyes with enjoyment. His cheeks and neck are incredibly muscular!!!! I quit and leave him wanting more so I don't wear my welcome out!
Thanks. And that sounds like a bad bite. Believe it or not, years ago, my friend's two year old son bit me and I had numbness in my finger for like 3 months. They do say parrots are like two year olds. ;)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks. And that sounds like a bad bite. Believe it or not, years ago, my friend's two year old son bit me and I had numbness in my finger for like 3 months. They do say parrots are like two year olds. ;)
I'm so sorry! Hopefully this will never happen again!!!

It sounds like you had a day from hell, hope today was better. Try to keep your thumb dry, this is where I run into issues dealing w/ a hand wound. I'm always doing something in the kitchen or in the basement where my hands are wet. Maybe buy some gloves that you can put over if you have the same issues! :sadhug:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@sunnysmom I am so sorry Elvis got you :( and the cat too :shifty:
I have had the exact same thing happen to me but thankfully although Burt was over excited and a bit rough he realised he got me instead of the pair of socks we play throw and catch with. It’s very easy to get distracted and caught out with this game.
I hope your battle wounds heal quickly!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry! Hopefully this will never happen again!!!

It sounds like you had a day from hell, hope today was better. Try to keep your thumb dry, this is where I run into issues dealing w/ a hand wound. I'm always doing something in the kitchen or in the basement where my hands are wet. Maybe buy some gloves that you can put over if you have the same issues! :sadhug:
I actually am having that problem. I didn't think about wearing a glove but that's a good idea. I wash my hands constantly too. So I'm going through bandages left and right.