• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird bite photos (Warning ~ Graphic)

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
Unfortunately, the Gabriel Foundation & countless other rescues & sanctuaries have a lot of birds that were given up for screaming &/or biting, which are two traits everyone that gets a bird should come to terms with before getting one. Gizmo was one of the birds given up for biting, after many years in his original home. When he first came here, he would beg for petting but eventually would bite, then after biting, he would cower in the corner of his cage and stay there for two days visibly shaking anytime you got close to his cage. I felt so bad for him because he clearly wanted attention but was terrified of what would happen after biting. It was obvious his previous owners reacted horribly if they got bit. I’m so relieved he’s no longer terrified of being abused for it and that when he bites now, it’s because he’s too happy/excited and not fearful. Id appreciate it if he didn’t do it at all but I knew he was a biter when I adopted him so I’m just happy for the improvement in his mental state. It’s a huge improvement.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Jesse bit me every chance he got. Being a conure, they were not huge, but still painful. The last time he bit me, I shook my finger because of the pain, not realizing he was still holding on, because of the pain. This slammed him down on the counter, breaking his leg on a salt shaker.
Jesse wore a splint for about a month. His lived in an enclosure rather than his cage. It has been weeks since he has been free fkight again, and he has not tried to bite me once. I joke has I known breaking hus leg would stop him from biting me I would have done it sooner. Honestly, I do spoil him, far too much. I love our little guy.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
My mom got bit by Lurch when she got too close trying to say hi to him. He grabbed her finger and she of course drew back and pulled him off the chair he was on as he hung on like a pit bull. She felt bad and said it was her fault for not being careful seeing how he was known for being aggressive and biting. Luckily nothing was broken on either of them but it certainly could have happened. I think he fell on the floor but Pionus tend to be tough stubborn little tanks. I'm sorry that happened and his leg got broke but it's hard not to do that when you get a painful bite and things happen.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
That's awesome news Anita! So happy all is going so well!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jesse went to the avian vet, to have his leg set. He is all healed now, and still not biting. He lets me love on him now. We have a great relationship now.
I'm so very glad things are better between the 2 of you! I'm glad that he's all healed too! Does the vet think their will be any long-term issues? Thanks for keeping us updated!

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Blu finally got me this afternoon. Mary "Hankmacaw" saw my post in Macaw Motorway and suggested I now qualified to post in this thread. I had Blu on my right hand and he jumped up. When he came down on my hand some tail feathers were between his feet. He must have thought I did it and to quote my grandmother he "Bit the living snot" out of me.
0617191904.jpg

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
That'll do it every time. I bet he feels bad about it now but they do work by their own rules.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Blu finally got me this afternoon. Mary "Hankmacaw" saw my post in Macaw Motorway and suggested I now qualified to post in this thread. I had Blu on my right hand and he jumped up. When he came down on my hand some tail feathers were between his feet. He must have thought I did it and to quote my grandmother he "Bit the living snot" out of me.
View attachment 307568
Ouch..!!! I know that feeling. I remember lou ( my military macaw) took a hunk of flesh off my arm. Had him on my arm, getting him out of cage, and I turned to see what Billy jean ( cockatoo)was up to and bump the cage door to lou's cage. The door slammed shut on his tail feathers tips. And he clamped down. Guess I deserved that for being clumsy. Lesson learned, don't take eyes off bird you have on you....

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Blu - 1. Mike - 0. :D

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
View attachment 307568
Yikes! Hope you heal quickly,,,,Neosporin may be your best friend right now..

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Blu - 1. Mike - 0. :D
Today. He lost today. But I like to think everyday without a bite is a victory! :D

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
View attachment 307568
:omg:
I'm sending healing thoughts your way! How bad was the cursing? (Even in your mind counts!).

A little fresh Aloe may help when the scab comes up & it starts to pull where the top layer of skin is. I only use fresh around here.

:sadhug: