• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird bite photos (Warning ~ Graphic)

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Just grab a big stick and whack the living snot out of em! Wife: Wake up Lodah... your having a bad dream again... Me: Wha... what... who??? :rofl:

Me: Pilo... your not supposed to do that, that's naughty...
Pilo: Your NOT talkin to me? Are You? :rofl:

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch did that to me when I wasn't fast enough offering a bite of my hot cereal while he had just plopped on my shoulder. I said a lot of bad words and we had a bad talk. He got stuffed in his cage a few hours and covered while we both cooled off. Neither of us made that mistake again and we both lived to be friends once more.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Lurch did that to me when I wasn't fast enough offering a bite of my hot cereal while he had just plopped on my shoulder. I said a lot of bad words and we had a bad talk. He got stuffed in his cage a few hours and covered while we both cooled off. Neither of us made that mistake again and we both lived to be friends once more.
Zach was put on time out immediately for a cool off and Jeff still loves him, even though he knows Zach wants to eat him.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
That is a real nasty one Danita. I feel your pain. :)
Dang John, nearly got the eye... Yea macaws can bite.....And to be honest, from pics, your lucky. They have ten times more bite pressure
if he really wanted to clamp down. I've seen a macaw snap a broom stick in half that someone was trying to stick train it. The macaw
reached out bit it in half.....I Thought SCHEEEEEET! ok, I won't put my hand up there.

There was an article on Science daily web site, which the article IS cited, from a university that measured the bite pressure of
a macaw, forget which one, but highest recorded bite from macaw is 1200 pound per square inch!!!!!! That's some very serious bite pressure. the average is
800-1000 lbs
To compare, a 17 foot crocodile has 3,700 pounds of pressure per square inch.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Dang John, nearly got the eye... Yea macaws can bite.....And to be honest, from pics, your lucky. They have ten times more bite pressure
if he really wanted to clamp down. I've seen a macaw snap a broom stick in half that someone was trying to stick train it. The macaw
reached out bit it in half.....I Thought SCHEEEEEET! ok, I won't put my hand up there.

There was an article on Science daily web site, which the article IS cited, from a university that measured the bite pressure of
a macaw, forget which one, but highest recorded bite from macaw is 1200 pound per square inch!!!!!! That's some very serious bite pressure. the average is
800-1000 lbs
To compare, a 17 foot crocodile has 3,700 pounds of pressure per square inch.

1000 pounds per square inch (psi) is in the lion range. Humans without special training are less than 200 psi. Since learning that an stresses/maladapted cockatoo can bite the beak off a mate, I've had even more respect for the power in those jaws... As if my own scars and nerve damage weren't enough to convince me.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
My poor finger and wrist became a tasty treat for one of the resident Cockatoos who reside at the sanctuary I volunteer for. This bite was totally my fault. I went in between Baby and her intended target. I LOVE hormone season.

Attachments

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My poor finger and wrist became a tasty treat for one of the resident Cockatoos who reside at the sanctuary I volunteer for. This bite was totally my fault. I went in between Baby and her intended target. I LOVE hormone season.
Ow! I'm sorry!

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
Gizmo pierced my ear on Monday. He bit clean thru in three places. I have short hair right now so wear hats when he's out, but this time, he flew to my hat and as I was getting the stick to move him, rather than attack my hat because he knows he's getting ready to get moved, he jumped down and latched on my ear and wouldn't let go. Unfortunatley, I'm in cancer treatment right now and since cartiledge was exposed, I had to go to urgent care. I got Levoquin to stave off cartliledge infection and had several Drs & nurses come in to see the parrot bite & tell me I was the most interesting case in a long time because they don't usually see parrot bites, lol.

Gizmo, God love him, laughed and danced when I finally got him off my ear and back in his cage. He thought we were having a blast! In all honesty, when I adopted him, he bit out of fear. He really seemed to think biting was an appropriate means of communication for a lot of things. Now, he's much more confident & he's happy almost all the time, but he still thinks biting is an appropriate means of play, so he's not allowed to be on my person. He doesn't agree with that rule though, so occassional bites happen before I can get him off. I try my hardest to avoid the bites and am usually good about it but I still get nailed about once or twice a year. This pic is several days after but I think the initial picture is kind of gross to post. Needless to say, I've had a little PTSD when he's out of his cage each day since then, lol. There's a lot of bobbing & weaving going on. (P.S. I've checked with the Drs previously about the cancer treatment being in my blood & potentially being ingested by the little velociraptor....per their advice & his vet's advice, I don't have contact with him for several days after each treatment for his safety & mine so he's in the clear).

Attachments

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Gizmo pierced my ear on Monday. He bit clean thru in three places. I have short hair right now so wear hats when he's out, but this time, he flew to my hat and as I was getting the stick to move him, rather than attack my hat because he knows he's getting ready to get moved, he jumped down and latched on my ear and wouldn't let go. Unfortunatley, I'm in cancer treatment right now and since cartiledge was exposed, I had to go to urgent care. I got Levoquin to stave off cartliledge infection and had several Drs & nurses come in to see the parrot bite & tell me I was the most interesting case in a long time because they don't usually see parrot bites, lol.

Gizmo, God love him, laughed and danced when I finally got him off my ear and back in his cage. He thought we were having a blast! In all honesty, when I adopted him, he bit out of fear. He really seemed to think biting was an appropriate means of communication for a lot of things. Now, he's much more confident & he's happy almost all the time, but he still thinks biting is an appropriate means of play, so he's not allowed to be on my person. He doesn't agree with that rule though, so occassional bites happen before I can get him off. I try my hardest to avoid the bites and am usually good about it but I still get nailed about once or twice a year. This pic is several days after but I think the initial picture is kind of gross to post. Needless to say, I've had a little PTSD when he's out of his cage each day since then, lol. There's a lot of bobbing & weaving going on. (P.S. I've checked with the Drs previously about the cancer treatment being in my blood & potentially being ingested by the little velociraptor....per their advice & his vet's advice, I don't have contact with him for several days after each treatment for his safety & mine so he's in the clear).
After your done with chemo, I vote you need to make your bite a piercing. :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
After your done with chemo, I vote you need to make your bite a piercing. :)
Gee.. I don't know. He might see it as an object he'd like to have and go for it. Might not be as bad as the bite but having an piercing yanked out wouldn't be pleasant either. I don't wear any jewelry around my birds because I've had one earring yanked out.

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
I would not really get a piercing there, lol. I know how I am and it would bother me to much when I sleep since I sleep on my side.

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
I'm sorry to everyone for their bites. This thread shows that parrots can be real brats when they want to be. I wish every soon-to-be parrot parent could see the pics in this thread so they are prepared for what could be to come!

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
I'm sorry to everyone for their bites. This thread shows that parrots can be real brats when they want to be. I wish every soon-to-be parrot parent could see the pics in this thread so they are prepared for what could be to come!
At the sanctuary I volunteer at, I always tell people that are interested in adoption. “It’s not IF they will bite you, it’s WHEN they bite you”

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Parrots bite, it's what they do if nothing more than to communicate or react when scared or hurt. Lurch used to bite every time something he wanted to happen didn't, plus he was programed that people ignored his warnings so he stopped giving them and went straight to a quick bite to protect himself. After he got to trust me he started warming first again but biting was always a option so I had to read him and either be fast or stay away when he was in a pissy mood.