• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Behavior!

Kaylea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kaylea

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for sharing

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
It's a nice article, but reading it I can really understand why their body language is so confusing to people at first! :lol:

I just had a bit of a laugh, for example different levels of a lowered head and fluff configurations could mean "I love you, scritch me," "I'm afraid, go away," "I'm angry, touch me and die," and "I'm aiming my flight." It's completely true but the "subtitles" that are really obvious to people who've had their birds for a while go completely unnoticed by others.
Really it's no wonder why people can't tell what their new bird is thinking for a couple weeks.:D

The only thing I can think to add that I've found interesting, 90% of the people I've spoken to with a tame lovebird say their birds vibrate (Wing and Body Quivering in the article) when very happy, excited, or feeling especially cuddly. It's entirely different from fear or cold, the rest of their body language is a clear give away. Other species will do this too I've been told, but it's apparently very common in lovies.
Sometimes Peanut vibrates so hard when super excited (like I've just surprised her with a serving of millet) she'll nearly fall off the dish.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Oh Baylee vibrates! When i serve her breakfast, once she fell off her perch from how hard she was vibrating! :eek: Kiwi does not do this she do it when coming out of her cage.
They have very different personalities! Kiwi is more brave & bold, while Baylee is much more calm. Actually some people have told me that Baylee is a boy. But she opens her wings to me :confused: And she had egg issues 2 years ago!