• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bird Been Acting Different All Day, Now Sleepy and Fluffed Up. Sitting Low on Perch (not normal for him)

Komsur

Walking the driveway
Hi,

I've booked him into the vets tomorrow, but I'm very worried about this little guy. He's been acting strange all day, but now he's sat very low on the perch and is closing his eyes all fluffed up. It's hot here, could he be sleepy because of the heat? My older bird that died showed these signs, I don't know what to do, he's not even 2 yet! I don't want to lose him :'(

I've attached a picture of him taken less than 5 minutes ago. Do you think he's on his way out or is this just a sleepy spell?

Thank you all.

EDIT: Okay, he's woken up a bit and is preening himself now. Seems pretty active again. I guess it's the heat making him sleepy?

EDIT#2: He's tweeting again :D I get so worried about these two sometimes.

Attachments

Last edited:

Komsur

Walking the driveway
Best safe, still take him in,,
Well, I have some medication, the vets said that he's definitely got weakness on his right leg, so I've got some painkiller stuff which I've given him, but the label says to stop using if he gets vomiting or diarrhoea, which he's had the latter, so I'm taking him back to the vets at 4:45PM, but my car is now at the mechanics as it needed going and I was hoping this medication might do something, so I'm just praying it's fixed in time to get there or I'll have to find some other method, waiting a week for the next appointment isn't happening.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he feels better soon. Let us know how the vet visit goes.

Komsur

Walking the driveway
I hope he feels better soon. Let us know how the vet visit goes.
Went back to the vet and they basically said "it's not what I gave you that's the problem" because I told him about the issue he had with it, and he asked me how long between giving it to him and seeing the incident and I said about 45 minutes as I had to take my car to the mechanics and he said that typically, if it were that medication, he'd expect the incident to happen between 3 and 6 hours in birds.

He recommended I buy something called Avipro, which I have now on Prime so it'll be arriving tomorrow, but all the vets are closing up now so I can't do anything more.

Thankfully though, he's currently having a big snack as we've been back for about half an hour. I'm hopeful that because he's always had the energy when he needs it (to get food/water) that he can make a recovery. But I'm worried that apart from those times, he's pretty much sitting hunched over. I've also cleaned his vent using a cotton swab and some warm water, but there was a bit of it and I've removed a bit of down from his bum and he looks a little silly right now.

Otherwise, I've made it so his food/water are around where's he's choosing to sit at the moment, because despite having the energy to get it, his leg isn't working properly so he can't move around very well.

And as I type this, he seems to be having a drink, so that's good too.