• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird baths

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone, I wanted to ask if it's normal for a bird to take baths every day?. My ringneck takes baths in his water bowl sometimes more than once a day. I give him showers twice a week so I was wondering if it's normal or can it be something else? He's free of parasites as I took him to the vet.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know if its normal or not for a ringneck. Might just be his thing. My Dusky Conure likes to take baths frequently and sometimes more than once a day. He doesn't have any skin or parasite issues. He just likes bathing.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
IRN produce a lot of oil. They are from an area with high humidity and rainfall. The oil helps protect them. They bath often to help remove excess oil. They love baths! Increased bathing could be your sign that the weather is drier in you area, maybe a seasonal change? The asiatic parrots can feel discomfort if the air is too dry. --I would not be concerned about daily baths.

You can tell when an IRN has been neglected because their feather appear darker from the build up of oil. It can take several baths for them to get their normal colouration back.

Asiatics | birdhealth

For some other general care advice read over some of these articles :)
Bird Husbandry Archives » Currumbin Valley Birds & Exotic Vetrenarian - Gold Coast

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My birds are Old world parrots but love frequent baths when they are moulting :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keoki is like a teenage boy. Bath, huh? whats that. :wtf:
Interesting that Keoki doesn't like to bathe. My red-bellied parrots like to bathe. SETI took his first bath when I put a water bowl in the brooder for the first time. I was surprised because none of the birds from my previous clutches did that the first time the water bowl was placed. He's probably the best bather of the red-bellies. Gets himself soaked to the skin.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Interesting that Keoki doesn't like to bathe. My red-bellied parrots like to bathe. SETI took his first bath when I put a water bowl in the brooder for the first time. I was surprised because none of the birds from my previous clutches did that the first time the water bowl was placed. He's probably the best bather of the red-bellies. Gets himself soaked to the skin.
I have tried various means to get him to take a bath. I've tried the shallow bowl of water, nope. He doesn't like being spritzed. He doesn't like it if I run the water in the kitchen sink or the bathroom either. I haven't tried the shower, yet. He will bath in his water bowl, occasionally. The last so-called bath was last week when he was diving into his veggie bowl. I saw what he was doing so I added some actual water to it and he bathed a little. He's weird. :cool:

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
My PFL loves bathing in her water dish, especially during molting :)