• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird backpack?

Sookitiel

Meeting neighbors
I am thinking about getting sooki a bird backpack since her harness can sometimes get annoying and I could take her on harder hikes. I know the Celtei backpack is the best but it is wayyyyy out of my price range. Does anyone know any birdie backpacks around $100 with lots of ventilation? (I live in a hot, humid climate)

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
I use this one, which I have fitted with a rope perch, water bottle (inside) and toys. It's light and comfortable to carry and quite roomy for my GCC. All the sides and top have a heavy mesh, none of that hard plastic stuff.

Dogit backback

Sookitiel

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the advice! How did you get the perch and water bottle in though?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I use this one, which I have fitted with a rope perch, water bottle (inside) and toys. It's light and comfortable to carry and quite roomy for my GCC. All the sides and top have a heavy mesh, none of that hard plastic stuff.

Dogit backback
USD?

Check location and exchange rate- many great options/products posted here as suggestions on AA are from the US which ends up becoming extremely expensive if you don’t live there- I’m guessing you’re from Aus going off a comment you made in the foraging thread?

Sookitiel

Meeting neighbors
Yeah I’ll keep that in mind. The celtei backpack looks so good but expensive! ahhhhh

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yeah I’ll keep that in mind. The celtei backpack looks so good but expensive! ahhhhh
For a small bird I’d honestly say go for it! It would totally be worth the investment as I do believe it would well outlast your small bird.
Check gumtree, trading post, FB market place etc.

I have one for my Macaw and I really love it but it’s gonna need replacing sometime soon- Burt is a demolition crew all on his own and will start looking for weak spots and chewing and breaking things as soon as my car stops for more than 60 seconds so his carrier is slowly getting more and more little bits missing or broken. He has broken cage welds and my kitchen tap so his pak-o-bird has a very limited life as far as he is concerned. I’m not sure the dog crate option most Mac owners use would be any better for him so I’m looking for a SS wire carrier for him which I may need to have made :/

Momof3litt

I'll post a picture tomorrow, I don't think I've ever posted one of the backpack on here.

For the perch - I used the point of a knitting needle to stretch one of the holes in the mesh enough to get the screw through. It was important to use a rope perch with screw ends. I know there's one shop here that sells replacements for the Celltei perches, that might have been what I used. I though I might have to reinforce around it, but I haven't at all.

The water bottle has a metal spring to hold it to a cage, but instead I installed it inside of the bag. I seem to recall there may have been a zip tie involved... The mesh holes are just the right size for the tiniest zip ties to go through without stretching the fabric.

FYI, I'm in Canada. The bag goes for a little under $100 CAD, I bought mine locally. We've hiked with it quite a bit, I strap it into the car and we've taken it travelling and on long outings. The solid base and wheels/handle let it stand upright, which is great when we stop. It's light enough that even my youngest can carry it.

Momof3litt

Ok, here are some photos. Many thanks to my little green model, lol!

Welcome to my travel bag tour AA!

20220203_111854.jpg

Taking a break to remind the budgies that this is MY space only!

20220203_111529.jpg

Looking down into the bag:

20220203_111658.jpg

I know where the treats hide!

20220203_111624.jpg

Extra detail of the water bottle - the ends of the metal spring holder are tightly attached with plastic twist ties.

20220203_111727.jpg

Happy to answer any questions :)