• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bird always puffed up

Goldenconure1

Meeting neighbors
I likely will be applying my deposit to another bird as the one I have money down on now, as much as it hurts, is showing signs of illness.

At a young age too. (Is still unweaned at roughly 13 and a half weeks).
His signs are litetally always ouffed up. Has lost weight steadily. Is standing almost always horizontally.

Other parrot forum said if a young bird, especially unweaned, is sick, it means they often will be on and off sick for their whole lives and very well may be immunodeficient. Not to mention also that they may have a serious illness, god forbid, that must be caught. I was told it is best that despite my binding with this bird, that I should be moving onto the next bird, which hurts.

Is this as true as it sounds? Should I? The breeder is only willibg to oay for a gram stain, and likely will just throw antibiotics at the problem, meanwhile this conures' hatchmates, all eithin a few days of eachothers age, seem quite healthy with no signs or symptoms of sickness.

What do you guys thonk I should do? Move on especially to protect myself from disappointment god forbid he dies eveb after taking him to a vet of my choice after bribging hom home After he has finished weaning? (In the meantime we are to bribg him to a vet, with the added limitation that the shop owner os Not paying for more tests, than the normal gram stain? I did not know where else to post this. I am about to listen to what they told me (other parrit forum) to do regarding moving on to the next parrot. Juet wanted mote input. Heart hurts from this. I love the little guy

The species is a Queen of Bavaria

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is the person you are buying from both the breeder and the shop owner?

I can not help much with this situation but hopefully others will be along soon to give you advice on the matter.

Why has the breeder not already had this baby bird checked if it is sick and they are willing to pay for a gram stain (only).......are they waiting for you to push them to do the right thing for this poor baby? Or are they thinking it is not unwell?

If that baby is sick what makes you feel comfortable to get another baby from the same place? The sick baby has not been checked by a vet and may be contagious, the other babies you are looking at replacing it with are all in contact with the sick baby?

If the sick one does not get checked out and you buy another baby from the same place you could be getting the same problem in a bird that has not developed symptoms yet, that is what keeps popping up in my mind.

Goldenconure1

Meeting neighbors
They do think its unwell but idk exactly why they only want to do a gram stain for now.
The new babies just got in and are seperated from mine and the others from the same clutch which is good.

The breeder is in florida allarently and ships the babies to the shop.

The funny thing is I have bought a green cheek cinyre from the shop two years ago and he ended up great!.

Many and most if his birds dobt show these symptoms and appear quite healthy just as my green cheek was. This just seems to be an anomaly

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with everything @Shezbug has said. But also, I personally wouldn't be giving my money to a shop that's denying vet care to an ill bird. That's cruelty.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Dont buy from them again! Your baby needs a wellness check, if you haven't had one already. Let the breeder pay for the stain and antibiotics, sounds to me like bacterial infection..but, I'm not a vet and I'm not there to see him. I hope he will be ok.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the bird you had chosen being ill. They do need to take that little one to the vet. Are you sure you want to purchase a bird from them? Pass on your original choice and perhaps pass on this breeder, too. If you do decide to take one of the other babies then bring that baby to vet for new bird check ASAP.

Parchmento

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alyssa
No matter whether you buy the poor baby or not, you need to stick up for the bird. Tell the breeder and/or shop owner that they NEED to take the bird to a certified avian vet for a FULL examination. That poor bird needs a chance at life—just thinking about him dying before ever experiencing a good life with a good owner breaks my heart:sad3:

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I don’t know the whole story or this breeder, but any good breeder/shop who cares for baby parrots would get an ill looking bird to an avian vet that day. The fact that they aren’t would have me very wary. It’s morally deficient to think this bird cost x amount and a vet check costs xx amount so that’s not happening. (I speak from experience. My macaw was abused horribly and never got to a vet when he needed one because the breeder wouldn’t spend money on him.)
I’d be asking a lot of questions regarding why the baby hasn’t been treated yet?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any updates regarding the baby?

Goldenconure1

Meeting neighbors
Saw him in the shop today. Feathers relaxed! And flapping his wings in place! Also wanting to climb everywhere and even eating solid food. The antibiotic baytril must be helping. He has 3 more days of it

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's good news. Are you still getting a baby from that place and will it be the original baby or a different one?

Goldenconure1

Meeting neighbors
It is tough to say. I am currently worried for the health of this bird. It is great seeing him get better and putting on weight and all. I have to say his whole flock of 150 plus birds seems and has always seemed very healthy. Mine was the only one who had gotten sick. His weight is already about 14 grams up from 226 grams since the vet visit from three days ago. He takes initiative to walk around and play with toys and is quite curious. He covered the vet the way he said he would (the gram stain and cloacal swab). However we still have to wait for the results and I would like this bird whether I get him or not to have a cbc and chem panel which I am will be pushing for regardless of whether he seems ridiculously healthy. Because I'd like to know and to find out especially if I so choose to go with another baby.

I cannot lie, over the last week he has been accomodating.. also feeding him more too despite his own physical mobility problems (disabled). My opinion of the shop and management has quickly flipped around. Yet I shall remain highly skeptical

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad the breeder/ owner stepped up!