• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird advice

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you!!!
You're welcome. If noise is an issue and doves are high on your list google "dove laughing" to make sure that's not an issue for your. Ring-necked doves make that "laughing" sound frequently. Diamond doves seem quieter from what I've seen. Pigeons are quieter than ring-necked doves, in my opinion.

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
You're welcome. If noise is an issue and doves are high on your list google "dove laughing" to make sure that's not an issue for your. Ring-necked doves make that "laughing" sound frequently. Diamond doves seem quieter from what I've seen. Pigeons are quieter than ring-necked doves, in my opinion.
Will do! I would do a pigeon but there aren’t many places near me that have a lot of birds, only one that’s actually close and not sure how many they have. So I feel like a dove is more realistic. Plus they have them at petsmart if all else fails, I don’t hate getting pets there because I like to give them a better home than the person that walks in and listens to pet store employees that don’t know anything. But I’d much rather rescue!

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
LOL. I agree! There's a ring-necked dove at an aquarium shop in our area and it drives me crazy to hear it "laughing." Lovely birds, though.
So, I looked into it, I don’t think Diamond Doves do this. But I couldn’t find much except that the ring neck does do it. Any further info?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
So, I looked into it, I don’t think Diamond Doves do this. But I couldn’t find much except that the ring neck does do it. Any further info?
Sorry; I don't know. I've never kept doves. I only know what I've seen in person and on YouTube.

Good luck.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would definitely look into doves. I don't have any but almost fostered a pair (they got adopted before I got them). So, I had started researching them. They seem like great birds. I also am semi-obsessed with silkie chickens. I don't know much about keeping them in the house, although I believe some people do, but they might be worth checking out. Also- as an aside, I was at a bird fair last year and saw this beautiful small rooster. I guess he was a "show" rooster and had won awards. I started talking to the owner about him and said something about him being outside. She looked at me like she was appalled and explained that he was a house rooster. LOL. So people definitely keep chickens inside.
I have a friend who took her pet chook every where with her and it slept in it’s own spot on the pillow next to hers. Pet chooks seriously are awesome

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:hilarious: That sound makes me absolutely ballistic. Give me a screaming conure over that any day.
I honestly don’t know how anyone copes with let alone likes dove and pigeon sounds, they’re so repetitive and irritating to me lol I must be honest and admit I chase the wild ones away after about an hour of listening to them with their silly cooing cos I’m mean :laugh:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have a friend who took her pet chook every where with her and it slept in it’s own spot on the pillow next to hers. Pet chooks seriously are awesome
I had to google what a chook is. LOL. It's a chicken! How cute. :)

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
I absolutely Love that laughing dove! I might get one, because that’s hilarious!

Aves

Rollerblading along the road

Loveofbird

Walking the driveway
Maybe a female cockatiel? They're not as loud as the males in my experience but mine might be an exception? Anyone have loud female tiels? Mine chatters but not constantly and only flock calls when I'm not in the room but she eventually stops. Maybe you should go to a shelter and check out the birds. I know there are a lot of birds in a shelter and it could be hard to know what the noise level of a certain bird is in all the chaos and noise. Sometimes depending on the shelter they'll tale you in a quieter room with the bird your interested in. Just know if it's quiet in the shelter it could have a personality change if you take it home and let it get comfortable. I honestly think a female tell would be good for you because they're not loud(in my experience) maybe you can give us a comparison of how much noise you'll be able to take?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
If you don't want noise, you don't want a bird. Noise is how birds communicate. Every single bird makes noise in some form or another.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Anyone have loud female tiels?
Yup, me!!!

She really shrieks in my ear at times, enough to make it ring. Especially mornings: "my food comes first mother!!!". I think with female tiels people say they are quieter but I suspect that's in comparison to the males who sing and show off a lot. Female tiels aren't particularly musical but they can have a shriek on them.

(Feeling guilty about bad mouthing her as she's sat right next to me looking sweet and innocent :rofl: probably that millet bowl next to me!)
20210128_185006.jpg

I really don't recommend tiels if OP finds budgie noise too bothersome.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My MILs female cockatiel is also pretty noisy.

Loveofbird

Walking the driveway
Yup, me!!!

She really shrieks in my ear at times, enough to make it ring. Especially mornings: "my food comes first mother!!!". I think with female tiels people say they are quieter but I suspect that's in comparison to the males who sing and show off a lot. Female tiels aren't particularly musical but they can have a shriek on them.

(Feeling guilty about bad mouthing her as she's sat right next to me looking sweet and innocent :rofl: probably that millet bowl next to me!)
View attachment 371423

I really don't recommend tiels if OP finds budgie noise too bothersome.
I guess mine is the minority, haven't had her shriek yet just call and squawk quietly. Sorry Joshjosh17 wish I could help you but I only have experience with tiels and budgies. Hope you find your feathered soulmate :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Niko, one of my female tiels, tweets basically all day. It’s about as loud as a person talking. Cappuccino calls a lot throughout the day, and she is very loud. Sunset is very quiet, except when she gets upset. Then she screams very loudly, but it only lasts a minute and it only happens a couple times a week. So with my three female tiels I have constant quieter noises, medium loud intermittent noises, and very loud infrequent noises.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I had to google what a chook is. LOL. It's a chicken! How cute. :)
Chook is Aussie for chicken. Yes they speak English down under but they have many different words that can be a mystery to the rest of us. Cars have boots & bonnets. :rofl:

Mom had a chicken that would sit with her on the porch like a cat or dog. They can bond closely with you.