• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird advice

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
So I just came across the idea of a “Parrotlet” and when I looked it up, they were described as being noisy like a large parrot that it’s not constant and only occasional, and the volume level is only that of a normal Budgie type volume. To me this sounds perfect. Any objections?
Read this to get a better idea if they're right for you and I am gonna tag @fashionfobie who owns chickens and p'lets

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
Read this to get a better idea if they're right for you and I am gonna tag @fashionfobie who owns chickens and p'lets
Not too worried about the biting cuz I’m used to it, but the comments had many claiming they had noisy parrotlets. That’s not reassuring. Onto the next I suppose.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
We had a p'let owner recently who was complaining about their bird "screaming" when he was just making normal happy bird chattering noises, so you might want to give their videos a listen before making the decision to go with a parrotlet.

If you want a soft-spoken bird, I really think you should pretty much avoid hookbills entirely.
:agreed:

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
We had a p'let owner recently who was complaining about their bird "screaming" when he was just making normal happy bird chattering noises, so you might want to give their videos a listen before making the decision to go with a parrotlet.

:agreed:
So if I wanted a “non-hookbill”(if that’s even the correct terminology. If not, my apologies), what birds would I be looking at? I’d like to experience what I can too, I don’t want a “show don’t touch” bird. I would like a companion bird. What’re my options?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Chickens can be kept indoors, but they will need access to packed earth for nail conditioning and dust bathing. I also wouldn't keep one chicken. You need at least 3 in my opinion. They are highly social birds who are prey animals so it is best to have a group.

I personally think the correct quails might be better indoors. They are quiet, smaller than chooks. However like chickens quail will need some earth enrichment.

Have you ever thought about a dove or a pigeon? There are some splendid pigeons out there :)

Feather

Avenue Veteran
So if I wanted a “non-hookbill”(if that’s even the correct terminology. If not, my apologies), what birds would I be looking at? I’d like to experience what I can too, I don’t want a “show don’t touch” bird. I would like a companion bird. What’re my options?
I'm afraid I can't chime in much. My only firsthand experience with tame softbills have been ringneck doves which if I'm reading correctly you've already decided against, and my european starling. I'd recommend a starling in a heartbeat, but actually obtaining one is a whole ordeal since it depends on the laws of your area and pretty much the only way to have one is to raise it yourself.

I've never kept them, but I've heard a lot of great things about pigeons.

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
Chickens can be kept indoors, but they will need access to packed earth for nail conditioning and dust bathing. I also wouldn't keep one chicken. You need at least 3 in my opinion. They are highly social birds who are prey animals so it is best to have a group.

I personally think the correct quails might be better indoors. They are quiet, smaller than chooks. However like chickens quail will need some earth enrichment.

Have you ever thought about a dove or a pigeon? There are some splendid pigeons out there :)
Yes I am high on the Diamond Dove! Doves have always been a favorite of mine though I haven’t gotten too much info on them. If you could, or anyone could, answer some questions that be great. I watched some videos on their cooing and it’s the first bird sound that I thought was peaceful and I feel I could deal with. But, is it constant like a Budgie? Also, can I handle them and have them perch on my hand or shoulder, or are they not like that? Is there any down side to owning them?

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
I'm afraid I can't chime in much. My only firsthand experience with tame softbills have been ringneck doves which if I'm reading correctly you've already decided against, and my european starling. I'd recommend a starling in a heartbeat, but actually obtaining one is a whole ordeal since it depends on the laws of your area and pretty much the only way to have one is to raise it yourself.

I've never kept them, but I've heard a lot of great things about pigeons.
Well I could grab one from my Mothers bird feeder but in all seriousness I am open to anything. Are starlings interactive?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
If pigeons are interesting to you check out this site. They have wonderful articles on pigeon care. :)
:pigeon2::pigeon::feedpigeons:

edit: since I posted this before I got your update.. this will suit doves too. Pigeons are rock doves :) So the info is a great stepping stone.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Well I could grab one from my Mothers bird feeder but in all seriousness I am open to anything. Are starlings interactive?
Very. My little guy is incredibly sociable and clever. I was able to train him to do recall and fly into his cage on command, as well as wear a harness. He doesn't like to be pet, but he absolutely does love to be on or near me when he's out of his cage.

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
Very. My little guy is incredibly sociable and clever. I was able to train him to do recall and fly into his cage on command, as well as wear a harness. He doesn't like to be pet, but he absolutely does love to be on or near me when he's out of his cage.

Awesome! Thank you!

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
I think pigeons, doves and quail sounds like what you want. I have 12 pigeons myself, they are Full of character. You would need a tame pigeon, so find a fancy pigeon breed(there are Many) that you like as fancy ones are more likely to be tame then the homing pigeons.
my first Dove experience was with a fledgling barbery dove who land in the ocean during their maiden flight. She was wet and chilled. I took her home and made an aviary for her, she was eating from my hand in just a week, though she preferred eating off the ground she was curious about everything. After a few weeks her wings where strong and she took off one morning and flew out over my head. that was last summer/autumn, she comes back from time to time and is still a single dove, as I don’t think their any Barbary doves that live nearby. They are an invasive species here. Doves are beautiful but easily scared, they are curious, as often willing to make friends.
As for quail, I hear they can be quite cuddly, I follow bobertquail on Instagram to see bobwhites and they make cute noises.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When it comes to parrots and "quiet", quiet is only in comparison to other parrots. I have a pionus - a species which is one of the quieter species - and she still produces a variety of beeps, clucks, chuckles and warbles throughout the day and at least a couple of proper yells a day. I've had to teach an online class in my bedroom because she decided to beep, continually, for an entire hour. I'm pretty laidback about noise and still get a bit frustrated by her more repetitive noises.

You may get quieter or louder individuals, but you cannot predict this and this can also change depending on the context. Even if you rehome a parrot that was quiet in their last home, your home (with a loud TV, loud music, perhaps leaving the parrot in a room where they can hear but not see other people) may encourage them to be noisier.

If you are at all noise-sensitive, a parrot is not going to be a good companion for you. Noise is inherent to all parrots. A silent parrot is usually a sick or unhappy parrot.

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
I think pigeons, doves and quail sounds like what you want. I have 12 pigeons myself, they are Full of character. You would need a tame pigeon, so find a fancy pigeon breed(there are Many) that you like as fancy ones are more likely to be tame then the homing pigeons.
my first Dove experience was with a fledgling barbery dove who land in the ocean during their maiden flight. She was wet and chilled. I took her home and made an aviary for her, she was eating from my hand in just a week, though she preferred eating off the ground she was curious about everything. After a few weeks her wings where strong and she took off one morning and flew out over my head. that was last summer/autumn, she comes back from time to time and is still a single dove, as I don’t think their any Barbary doves that live nearby. They are an invasive species here. Doves are beautiful but easily scared, they are curious, as often willing to make friends.
As for quail, I hear they can be quite cuddly, I follow bobertquail on Instagram to see bobwhites and they make cute noises.
Yes I have grown quite attached to the Diamond Dove. I think it’s the best idea especially because the noise they do make I find to be peaceful and relaxing.

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
When it comes to parrots and "quiet", quiet is only in comparison to other parrots. I have a pionus - a species which is one of the quieter species - and she still produces a variety of beeps, clucks, chuckles and warbles throughout the day and at least a couple of proper yells a day. I've had to teach an online class in my bedroom because she decided to beep, continually, for an entire hour. I'm pretty laidback about noise and still get a bit frustrated by her more repetitive noises.

You may get quieter or louder individuals, but you cannot predict this and this can also change depending on the context. Even if you rehome a parrot that was quiet in their last home, your home (with a loud TV, loud music, perhaps leaving the parrot in a room where they can hear but not see other people) may encourage them to be noisier.

If you are at all noise-sensitive, a parrot is not going to be a good companion for you. Noise is inherent to all parrots. A silent parrot is usually a sick or unhappy parrot.
I get that. I am not noise sensitive, but I am very short tempered. So if I’m trying to relax or sleep and I have a bird going crazy I know I’d find myself getting annoyed fast if I’m not in the mood for it. But I know some birds are quiet and only get loud when they want your presence. My grandparents own a Sun Conure, which is ridiculously loud lol. But, if you’re in the room he is quiet(unless he is unhappy or mad about another bird outside or something), but this I can deal with IF it’s not as loud as the Conure. That’s why I wanted something that was quiet when I’m in the room for the most part, of course I can’t be mad about a little bit of noise. Then also something that when it makes noise when I am not around, isnt going to make you cringe from the other side of the house haha.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would definitely look into doves. I don't have any but almost fostered a pair (they got adopted before I got them). So, I had started researching them. They seem like great birds. I also am semi-obsessed with silkie chickens. I don't know much about keeping them in the house, although I believe some people do, but they might be worth checking out. Also- as an aside, I was at a bird fair last year and saw this beautiful small rooster. I guess he was a "show" rooster and had won awards. I started talking to the owner about him and said something about him being outside. She looked at me like she was appalled and explained that he was a house rooster. LOL. So people definitely keep chickens inside.

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
I would definitely look into doves. I don't have any but almost fostered a pair (they got adopted before I got them). So, I had started researching them. They seem like great birds. I also am semi-obsessed with silkie chickens. I don't know much about keeping them in the house, although I believe some people do, but they might be worth checking out. Also- as an aside, I was at a bird fair last year and saw this beautiful small rooster. I guess he was a "show" rooster and had won awards. I started talking to the owner about him and said something about him being outside. She looked at me like she was appalled and explained that he was a house rooster. LOL. So people definitely keep chickens inside.
Doves are growing on me quickly! Chickens sound awesome but we named our Cat “Chicken” so that may be conflicting I don’t think I have the space for a chicken at the moment but I will definitely revisit them in the future!