• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird advice

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
So I’ve been here before if you remember my last post, but the thread really derailed and I wanted to clear something up and make it very simple. I want a bird really badly, but noise is a huge issue. I don’t want a big bird whose screech echos down the road(yes this was a sarcastic exaggeration). I also don’t want a budgie bird whose chirping doesn’t stop for half a second all day. I need a bird whose voice is maybe only present if I’m not in the room, and isn’t so loud that I cringe when I hear it. So a bird thats infrequent like a big bird, and volume that’s lower, like a budgie, but I can go up a little on the volume scale, but I can’t do something that’ll be TOO much like a Sun Conure or a big bird. Any bird like that?

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
How about a gcc? My gcc rarely screams, but remember that the screams can be high-pitched........ :bvryafd:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I think I may have clicked the button by mistake, sorry. :shy:
All good- I just didn’t see what the funny part was and I wanted in on the humour! Lmao

I stand by my comment about chooks being awesome companion pets! My cousins had one when we were little and she (chickadee) was the best fun then my kids had a couple of them (Greg and Russell) that used to break into the house and would seek the kids out all the time to sit and snuggle (and steal food) from them. They came when called like a dog and they were trainable to a degree.

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
All good- I just didn’t see what the funny part was and I wanted in on the humour! Lmao

I stand by my comment about chooks being awesome companion pets! My cousins had one when we were little and she (chickadee) was the best fun then my kids had a couple of them (Greg and Russell) that used to break into the house and would seek the kids out all the time to sit and snuggle (and steal food) from them. They came when called like a dog and they were trainable to a degree.
They sound like fun! Not sure if I have the space unfortunately☹

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I would also recommend looking beyond parrots.

Button quail are super adorable and there are many wonderful finches that would meet your noise requirements.

20200716_184117.jpg

20200702_183124.jpg

Larger birds, like doves, pigeons, chickens, and ducks, can also make for fun feathered friends.

One of my favorite large birds was our pet double-breasted bronze turkey. She was quite the character. Not exactly a great choice if you live in an apartment, but certainly worth considering if you have a yard.

121 (2).JPG

Even the quietest parrot WILL be pretty loud sometimes. And most parrots will be pretty loud a LOT of the time. Happy parrots want you to know it. And upset parrots want you to know that too. They are naturally big talkers.

If you want a soft-spoken bird, I really think you should pretty much avoid hookbills entirely.

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
I would also recommend looking beyond parrots.

Button quail are super adorable and there are many wonderful finches that would meet your noise requirements.

View attachment 371294

View attachment 371293

Larger birds, like doves, pigeons, chickens, and ducks, can also make for fun feathered friends.

One of my favorite large birds was our pet double-breasted bronze turkey. She was quite the character. Not exactly a great choice if you live in an apartment, but certainly worth considering if you have a yard.

View attachment 371295

Even the quietest parrot WILL be pretty loud sometimes. And most parrots will be pretty loud a LOT of the time. Happy parrots want you to know it. And upset parrots want you to know that too. They are naturally big talkers.

If you want a soft-spoken bird, I really think you should pretty much avoid hookbills entirely.
Can’t argue with any of that! Unfortunately I do have a yard but I cannot own a large bird. I love the little finches but I heard they aren’t the handleable type and I wanted something I could interact with. Doves sound cool but again I think they are a bit more interactive and definitely something to consider but not my first choice. Never looked into Quail, I’ll have to check them out!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
They sound like fun! Not sure if I have the space unfortunately☹
I do think a chicken is a good bird for you too. Bantam chickens can be very small and won't take as much space as a larger one.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Yes I have a large yard I could take it out though I’d prefer something indoors because it gets cold and snowy here in the winter and I’d prefer to not buy/build a coop!
If you have a place inside for it as well as a place outside for exercise I can see it working really well.
Though chickens can have rather large poo if that bothers you.
I suggest researching if you could find Japanese bantams in your area. And researching the breed.

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
So I just came across the idea of a “Parrotlet” and when I looked it up, they were described as being noisy like a large parrot that it’s not constant and only occasional, and the volume level is only that of a normal Budgie type volume. To me this sounds perfect. Any objections?

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
If you have a place inside for it as well as a place outside for exercise I can see it working really well.
Though chickens can have rather large poo if that bothers you.
I suggest researching if you could find Japanese bantams in your area. And researching the breed.
Well I have a bearded dragon which poop is oddly large in bearded dragons, it’s their signature thing haha. But I’ll definitely look into it!