• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bio film in dishes

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Wasn't sure where to put this but I'm worried. The other night after little man was sleeping, I did his cage dishes and the few of my own from dinner. This is routine for his dishes, soak first, wash with dish rag using a little dawn soap and hot water. Rinse in hot water until no more bubbles. Spray with straight white vinegar again, rinse again hot water and put them in his dish drainer to dry. The other night I notice a film in the corners. So I pulled the from drainer and looked closer. Yup it's in all of them. I set them up with white vinegar and let them soak for half hour. Washed again and didn't see any more film. Pulled his dishes in the cage next morning. Same thing bio film in the dishes. They got the same treatment.
I know that at the clinic I volunteered at Dr. Barb had special cleaner for all animal dishes, cats birds, dogs and whatever else was in clinic. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the stuff. But it was weekly clean. All those dish got put in big sink and capful of this???? and hottest water possible. Soaked for 15 minutes and dried.
Bebe's dishes get washed daily, fresh water from Brita filter. Does anyone else have this problem?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don’t have a film of any kind but I use SS for nearly all my dishes.

What are your dishes made from?

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I use Rescue. It's a cleaner, degreaser and disinfectant that's an accelerated hydrogen peroxide based detergent. My vet recommended it for all my pet bowls and area cleaner. They use it to disinfect all animal exposed surfaces and utensils in their office. I use a 1:128 dilution (1 ounce per gallon of water).

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
They are all plastic dishes.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I do, hard water mostly causes this..plastic gets film on it, film equals bacteria..I use a bit of bleach 1 Tablespoon bleach to 4 cups water spray, let sit half an hour or so.., scrub out in the hottest water you have, let air dry.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Omg my city's water comes out chunky form, not kidding. Plus the complex remove all the water softeners too expensive to maintain. I'm going to try the bleach thing too. Vinegar did pretty good though

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bio-film needs to be scrubbed to be broken up or it will remain & continue to grow. It's in all pet dishes & even on your teeth. Yep. That's why we use a toothbrush to clean our teeth daily. Just rinsing will not get rid of it. Water dishes should be scrubbed daily.

Our parrots have ceramic crocks. All 3 of our cages came with ceramic crocks. The CAG's water dish is slimy every day, but not the Macaws. Weird, as they get cleaned the same. The U2 has a water bottle & it never gets slimy. We're on well water with several units to treat it before it gets to the tap. I use a scrub pad on the crocks & a bottle brush to clean the bottle.

Water can have many things in it no matter the source.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Yep, biofilm will happen. I see it all the time in my fish tanks, except that's a different thing (where you actually want the good bacteria growing there). Bowls need a good scrubbing, and just to be sure every day I take paper towels and wipe out the wet clean bowls until they're 100% bone dry.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I will ad what looks like a clear denturae brush to the cleaning routine.