• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bins and baskets

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Hi guys.

I put a basket on the outside of monaco's cage with foot toys and goodies, and she's getting brave enough to stand on it and really dig - tail up! I really want to put something inside her cage for the times I need to leave the house. I like the basket, and I can attach it in multiple ways, but I don't know how safe it would be. I have a few of these... Please have a look and guide me on what to use instead if it seems unsafe.

IMG_20200213_200522258.jpg
I changed the attachment when I moved her cage.

IMG_20200227_154956573.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think as long as You remove the moving handles it would be fine to use inside the cage :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I got a SS bucket for Burt because he kept shredding the cane baskets I got him lol. He would rather just detach the whole bucket and drop the thing loaded with toys and foraging treats so I kind of find it a waste to use now hehehe.
The only thing I think I would be concerned about once the handles are removed is how she is with the slits in the sides of the basket.....can she easily get her foot and leg in there and get it back out any which way it may go through?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Blu has a steel foraging basket in his cage. Every other day I put paper with nuts hidden in it inside it. He has a blast tearing paper to get the treats. View attachment 330461
Burt has one of them. I have a blast filling it and making it harder each time for him to get to the treats.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I got a SS bucket for Burt because he kept shredding the cane baskets I got him lol. He would rather just detach the whole bucket and drop the thing loaded with toys and foraging treats so I kind of find it a waste to use now hehehe.
The only thing I think I would be concerned about once the handles are removed is how she is with the slits in the sides of the basket.....can she easily get her foot and leg in there and get it back out any which way it may go through?
I'm not 100‰ about it, but I was thinking of weaving that palm material through it which might help get the spaces filled. It's definitely big enough to get two toes in, but I don't think it's big enough to get the (I feel bad for not knowing the term for it) center joint through and allow all four toes through... But that seems like a twist might pinch her toes together and that could be an injury for sure. Maybe on the floor she couldn't get enough weight to make that happen.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I'm not 100‰ about it, but I was thinking of weaving that palm material through it which might help get the spaces filled. It's definitely big enough to get two toes in, but I don't think it's big enough to get the (I feel bad for not knowing the term for it) center joint through and allow all four toes through... But that seems like a twist might pinch her toes together and that could be an injury for sure. Maybe on the floor she couldn't get enough weight to make that happen.
Such a sweetie. Palm fronds- the proper kind (there are a few varieties you shouldnt use). Are GREAT for toys and fillers. I made this the other day- its a hanging basket about 5" tall x 2" wide.

I agree that just the handles would be the only issue with your basket, but birds will be birds. They will find ways to hurt themselves and blame you. Yesterday Dimitri was walking on the floor and tripped- he blamed me that his wittle beak hurt and wanted mommy to rub it and get a pine nut. Ugh.

Attachments