• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Big Bird vomited around 3 am-what can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Hope big bird is doing alright. I have no idea what it might be, but I think Katherine's suggestion is a good one if the vet doesn't find something else. Sounds a little like Weeble when she got sick with metal toxicity. she vomited in her sleep cage overnight, but she didn't keep food down until she finally dropped a gigantic poo about 2pm. her poos were bubbly, though. freaked me out. hope it's nothing serious:hug8:

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I took him to the vet today. There was nothing in his crop or fecal matter. The vet said he could have eaten something that upset his stomach-since he only vomited the one time. He has been eating fine since the incident. If he seems to get worse or any further vomiting-he will need to go through much more testing and one will be metal toxicity. He was not happy being there--he screamed and screamed , he has never done that. The vet was very nice to him, but boy was he upset!! I hope things just continue on a good path since he was sooooo stessed being there.!

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hope big bird is doing alright. I have no idea what it might be, but I think Katherine's suggestion is a good one if the vet doesn't find something else. Sounds a little like Weeble when she got sick with metal toxicity. she vomited in her sleep cage overnight, but she didn't keep food down until she finally dropped a gigantic poo about 2pm. her poos were bubbly, though. freaked me out. hope it's nothing serious:hug8:
Did Weeble have any other signs for metal toxicity?

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I hope Big Bird is feeling better soon :hug8:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
nothing obvious, but to me she just seemed off. after we determined it wasn't a blockage and found she had an enlarged proventriculus she was started on metacam. the next day i examined her cage really well and found that she had chipped paint off the bars. she seemed normal, but i know every nuance of her personality and behavior so i pushed for the lead and zinc tests and i'm glad i did because she responded immediately to the chelation. it affects birds differently i guess, but with her she wasn't sitting puffed and sleeping, but normally she's being a complete troublemaker/into everything nonstop. she was eating, but because i kept offering her different things all day and night and weighed her 3 times a day and making sure she drank every couple of hours, she had heat 24/7. so she appeared pretty normal to people that didn't know her like i did. her levels were low. i think it was the paint chips (i found them in her poop) that caused a blockage/irritation then she passed it and kept food down, but had low level tox and even low, it was affecting her because she did improve immediately with the chelation and she hadn't really improved after being on metacam and baytril. don't know if any of that helps, but just keep an eye out for subtle signs. may be worth the testing if you think he could have gotten into something. maybe go over the cage and quicklinks and look for marks or signs of chewing?

Status
Not open for further replies.