• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BH pionus breeders on the east coast of the US?

ParrotGeek

Moving in
Does anyone know of any reputable breeders for Blue headed Pionuses? They seem like a near perfect match for me and I can't seem to find any. If there are none, are there any other parrot species you'd recommend? I was also considering Senegals, Alexandrines, and Eclectus. Thanks!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Any of the Pionus species would be good. Dusky, (Maximilian) white capped, bronze wing. They all have similar personalities. I don't know of any breeders though.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Parrot Stars and maybe one other place breeds them, they go for $900 to $1600

Reactions: Ali

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It is a shame, however there are very few people who still breed them in the United States. Honestly, if you are positive that a pionus is perfect for you, your best bet may be to contact a bird only store and ask them. They tend to have contacts for a wide variety of species that you may not otherwise find just searching the internet.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Actually, after doing a search on the internet, it appears that JC Aviary breeds a few pionus species. Here is a link to their website: JC Aviary . I can not remember who it was, but a member here has purchased from them before.

Christy Cat

Meeting neighbors
I feel your pain,. I've been looking a couple of years now for a Bronze Winged Pionus. The only breeder I've found is Patty's Pets in Tampa Florida. They ask nearly $3000 for one of their birds cause they have a monopoly on breeding them in the US at this time. They claim to charge that much because they train the babies to fly and step up before leaving. But they refuse to post video of fledged babies, and the video they have of them stepping up is terrible. No training involved just pushing against their chest to force them up onto their hand. Very frustrating. Makes me want to breed them just to see it done correctly.

ParrotGeek

Moving in
I feel your pain,. I've been looking a couple of years now for a Bronze Winged Pionus. The only breeder I've found is Patty's Pets in Tampa Florida. They ask nearly $3000 for one of their birds cause they have a monopoly on breeding them in the US at this time. They claim to charge that much because they train the babies to fly and step up before leaving. But they refuse to post video of fledged babies, and the video they have of them stepping up is terrible. No training involved just pushing against their chest to force them up onto their hand. Very frustrating. Makes me want to breed them just to see it done correctly.
I've felt the same exact way, lol!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Checked out JC Aviary in TX. Seem to raise very well socialized babies & also get babies from other breeders.
They have 2 baby hyacinth macaws handfeeding. I believe they are $30K now.

Note JC Aviary has quoted they don;t breed pionus anymore....Another one down!

Checked out there facebook & found this on post on Spix Macaws. So majestic & great photography of the rare bird.