• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Betta fin damaged in a matter of hours

K&W

Moving in
My betta fin looked fine just hours ago I came back and noticed that his tail is very frayed. Does anyone know what may have caused this?
image.jpg

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Sorry I do not know if I can help, Maybe the betta got caught on something in the tank? ** I checked the picture again and it could possibly gotten caught on the plastic plant maybe to sharp, I use real plants in my bettas tank.

(bumping) - for more visibility visability

Reactions: K&W

Gigibirds

Hmm...yeah @Hermesbird was probably right and I would guess that it was the plant.....I once had a betta fish though, and he got half sucked up by the filter while I was at school, and so his left side was in the air all day! (yes, he did die :() So if you have a filter, it's possible that that could have damaged it, too!

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
That’s so sad, I don’t use air filter in my beta tank. Just oxygen tube and live plants with regular cleaning (well my fiancé’s cleans the fish tanks) I bath the dogs and the bird lol

ChirpysMom

Meeting neighbors
My betta fin looked fine just hours ago I came back and noticed that his tail is very frayed. Does anyone know what may have caused this?
View attachment 379406
He could have gotten snagged on any sharp decor items or he could have done it himself. Male bettas can also self mutilate if they are unhappy. Does he have a heater?
I breed wild bettas and have seen this in domestic betta splendens. I would compare it to feather plucking.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Male bettas can also self mutilate if they are unhappy.
Sorry to derail if I do, I find this interesting I’ve had bettas almost my whole life and never seen them self mutilate.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Can you post a picture of the whole tank? It would help.

What are your water parameters? How long has the tank been set up? Any other creatures in tank?

Highly doubt it's that pineapple ornament people are zeroing in on. I've got the same one in one of my unexpected rescue betta tanks. He's fine.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
pineapple ornament people are zeroing in on
More so the plastic green plant on the side. Some aren’t cut great and can have sharp edges. My bettas love to lay on leaves so it’s possible this could of happened and gotten caught on it. Just my thought thou

ChirpysMom

Meeting neighbors
Yes, I haven’t had it happen with any of my fish but I follow many bettas on Instagram and have seen it in others’ fish. Betta Tail Biting
It’s a stress response to unsuitable aquarium parameters.

Sorry to derail if I do, I find this interesting I’ve had bettas almost my whole life and never seen them self mutilate.

K&W

Moving in
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the insights. I have removed all ornaments from the tank and changed the water. I added aquarium salt and other fish safe medication. He is eating like normal and seems well.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yes, I see what you mean, Hermesbird. Sounds like it's in hand. :)

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
My sister's fish once had fin rot. Very similar symptoms... Perhaps look into that?

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
My sister's fish once had fin rot. Very similar symptoms... Perhaps look into that?
This is also a possibility, I had a king bettas who developed an illness in the last 3 months we’ve had him (over 1 yr). And he got pumps on his face. I forgot what my fiancé said they were but it was so sad to see.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the insights. I have removed all ornaments from the tank and changed the water. I added aquarium salt and other fish safe medication. He is eating like normal and seems well.
See if you can get real plants. And I’ve found they like the leaf suction at the top of the tank to lay on lol

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
'Silk' plants are great too!

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please don't remove everything from his tank. He'll get stressed if he doesn't have anything to hide in. Just take out the plastic plants.
How big is his tank? Do you have a heater? I know you said you don't use a filter, but you should really get one as they are important for the health of your tank. Sponge filters won't hurt your betta. Also, is the tank cycled?