• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best ways to help Pudge?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I don't even know what the right thing to do is anymore
Is there also the option to have the other come back to you now?
And are they both sexed? I wouldn't want to give a possible breeding pair to this other person

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't even know what the right thing to do is anymore
Keep Pudge

@Xoetix is trying to do the right thing for both of the birds however giving Pudge up doesnt mean this will improve Burts situation does it ? they may be struggling being apart for a while but this can be worked through if Pudge is grieving.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This may not be a wise idea, and I'm not suggesting it as I don't know how it would turn out.

But...

If you could bring Pudge to visit Burt while he is at the Veterinarian's; and if Burt perked up enough to start eating on his own...

Well, that would tell you both something right there. The reason I am not officially suggesting it is because it might be downright cruel if you are planning to keep the birds separated.

What does the vet have to say about Burt? Does he/she believe it is because the birds were separated?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Keep Pudge

@Xoetix is trying to do the right thing for both of the birds however giving Pudge up doesnt mean this will improve Burts situation does it ? they may be struggling being apart for a while but this can be worked through if Pudge is grieving.
I asked if the other can come back to her house.
Its sad all around .
I want both burds to have the best life possible for the next 30 years
Its also why I weigh a burd in a new home every day

Last edited:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I don’t know what to do anymore but I think burt was happier with you I think he came on loads with you I don’t think he looked in best shape when you got him from her and I would have probably not given him back to her not saying you made wrong choice you did what you thought was right at time
Plus are u 100% sure burts defo at vets and she’s not just saying it to get pudge ?

I personally don’t know her but from your post videos etc I would say your home best place for them if not burt pudge definitely getting off with you

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I talked with the vet yesterday afternoon, and she said based on all the diagnostics coming back as clean and without any underlying illness/infection, her best guess when considering the whole situation is depression. Burt didn’t have a bird companion for the three years he was with his owner, came to me and nearly immediately bonded to Pudge, then left without his new love. Going on that, she thinks it’s all stemming from depression.

He did eat more on his own overnight, but is so far uninterested in treats, toys, or interaction even with his owner (whom he does love - she can actually hold him without him trying to bite the hell out of her the way he did me). He’ll be going home today, thankfully.

While I hate to do it, I can’t let him nearly die because of the decisions the humans in his life made. I’ll be bringing Pudge to her either tomorrow or Monday. Pudge is still doing poorly in that, while he is eating, it’s not much, and he’s flock calling constantly whether I’m in the room and he’s on me or not.

Pudge might be my buddy, but I’m not his species and he’s miserable without another Quaker now.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
The story of Burt and Pudge just highlights how sensitive birds can be, the bonds they form, the complex social needs.
It really does. I don’t think I’ll get another small species as a single after this. Anything Tteok-sized or smaller will have a buddy (just because I don’t think I could do two SC2s - one demonic seagull is enough for me)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I talked with the vet yesterday afternoon, and she said based on all the diagnostics coming back as clean and without any underlying illness/infection, her best guess when considering the whole situation is depression. Burt didn’t have a bird companion for the three years he was with his owner, came to me and nearly immediately bonded to Pudge, then left without his new love. Going on that, she thinks it’s all stemming from depression.

He did eat more on his own overnight, but is so far uninterested in treats, toys, or interaction even with his owner (whom he does love - she can actually hold him without him trying to bite the hell out of her the way he did me). He’ll be going home today, thankfully.

While I hate to do it, I can’t let him nearly die because of the decisions the humans in his life made. I’ll be bringing Pudge to her either tomorrow or Monday. Pudge is still doing poorly in that, while he is eating, it’s not much, and he’s flock calling constantly whether I’m in the room and he’s on me or not.

Pudge might be my buddy, but I’m not his species and he’s miserable without another Quaker now.
I'm so sorry that it's come to this for everyones sakes. That they both got so upset being seperated and that now you'll have to say goodbye to Pudge as well. I think it's very noble of you to be willing to let him go to another home so they can both be happy even though that means you'll be losing them both.
You have utmost sympathy for what your going through. I sincerely hope that once they are reunited that they are both normal again and you'll have peace with your decision.
I'm glad yall will have it in writing though that if ever she can't keep them they will come home to you.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I'm so sorry that it's come to this for everyones sakes. That they both got so upset being seperated and that now you'll have to say goodbye to Pudge as well. I think it's very noble of you to be willing to let him go to another home so they can both be happy even though that means you'll be losing them both.
You have utmost sympathy for what your going through. I sincerely hope that once they are reunited that they are both normal again and you'll have peace with your decision.
I'm glad yall will have it in writing though that if ever she can't keep them they will come home to you.
It’s been super crappy. I haven’t cried yet, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be wrecked on the drive home once it fully sinks in. I hate having to do it.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s been super crappy. I haven’t cried yet, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be wrecked on the drive home once it fully sinks in. I hate having to do it.
*hugs* it's such a hard decision and so unfair that this whole situation is happening.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

I hadn't realized he was with first owner for 3 years before coming to you.

All my love to you the quakers and the other momma .

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I hadn't realized he was with first owner for 3 years before coming to you.
Yeah, she’d had him from weaning up until she got sick, then her dad took him and wasn’t doing an awesome job. I guess on the good side, I got him eating pellets again and not just seed before he went back. Silver lining and all that, lol

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
It’s very good of you hope everything works out

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Yeah, she’d had him from weaning up until she got sick, then her dad took him and wasn’t doing an awesome job. I guess on the good side, I got him eating pellets again and not just seed before he went back. Silver lining and all that, lol
It is , silver lining he also got a life long buddy and that is no small thing.
Sometimes we are the in between angels .
Selfishly I want to see constant updates on the 2. To know they have overcome this and are living their best life!
And I'm going to add that I'm also willing to be a standby back up. If a situation arises were neither of you are able. It just makes me feel better to put that out there. But I want them forever loved in their new home!!!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Selfishly I want to see constant updates on the 2. To know they have overcome this and are living their best life!
And I'm going to add that I'm also willing to be a standby back up. If a situation arises were neither of you are able. It just makes me feel better to o
putthsat out there. But I want them forever loved in their new home!!!
I appreciate that! And yeah, I’ll definitely be getting updates. I told her to wait a couple weeks before telling me if they’re happier than ever though because i don’t know if my heart could take it :sad11:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
And I'm going to add that I'm also willing to be a standby back up. If a situation arises were neither of you are able. It just makes me feel better to put that out there. But I want them forever loved in their new home!!!
This is so amazing of you to offer

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
This is so amazing of you to offer
I love quakers, 2 more loves id make it work.
These 2 , I want as close a chance to zero as to never be apart again . So they got back up for days now!