• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best way to transport 5G tank and fish?

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hi guys,

I'm planning to drain out my tank till its just got enough water to cover the gravel. I'll mist the ferns and cling film the top.

I will save 50% of the tank water to fill up the tank after the move and will store my filter media in a bag with tank water.

I'm not quite sure about the fish though. I just have a betta and 2 lampeyes.

Happy to have any suggestions on the tank and plants too!

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Bag the fish into species compatible bags and put them in a tub or bucket with some packing (ie. crumpled newspaper, bubble wrap or other filler) to avoid rolling and tipping.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bag the fish like you see them so at the shop when you buy them and put them in something to secure them for transport like mentioned

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
When I moved mine through a 12 hour trip, I put them in a small cooler lined with a large bag, with a battery operated bubbler. So depends on how long you have to go ;) but generally, they can live in the bag for several hours without issues.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When moving tbe bagged fish the bags should be upside down so fish dont get stuck in corners of bags.
Imo gravel needs to come out and be washed as there will be bacterial die off and it will become pretty nasty.
Filter media will also potentialy become useless as any beneficial bacteria will die off without flow,

How far is the move and how long will it take ?

Something such as ATM colony added to the tank when set back up will be beneficial to boost the beneficial de nitrifying bacteria to stop a min cycle and any potential ammonia spikes.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you don't have too far to go, get a plastic tray & layer the sopping plants between wet newspaper. Works like a charm. They don't get all squished in a tangled ball or dried out.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
When moving tbe bagged fish the bags should be upside down so fish dont get stuck in corners of bags.
Imo gravel needs to come out and be washed as there will be bacterial die off and it will become pretty nasty.
Filter media will also potentialy become useless as any beneficial bacteria will die off without flow,

Something such as ATM colony added to the tank when set back up will be beneficial to boost the beneficial de nitrifying bacteria to stop a min cycle and any potential ammonia spikes.
We just use a tiny piece of tape on the bottom of each corner kinda lifting the corner up against the bag so the corner is gone. This is a safer option as there’s much less chance of loosing any water. Is this not common where you are?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good point, wardy. My LFS always puts the bagged fish upside down & then double bags, so they don't get stuck in corners.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We just use a tiny piece of tape on the bottom of each corner kinda lifting the corner up against the bag so the corner is gone. This is a safer option as there’s much less chance of loosing any water. Is this not common where you are?
No double bagged and upside down

clarousel

I see, so I will have to start from scratch regarding the BB?

It's a 30 min drive and at least 30 mins (hopefully) to unload and move things up. I can probably set the tank up temporarily in the kitchen then.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I see, so I will have to start from scratch regarding the BB?

It's a 30 min drive and at least 30 mins (hopefully) to unload and move things up. I can probably set the tank up temporarily in the kitchen then.
The BB should be just fine for such a short trip.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
30 mins should be fine