• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best way to train a tiel with one severely clipped wing?

Eqiine

Meeting neighbors
Hi! I really want to start training my 6 month, female, cockatiel. I want to do recall training of sorts (to the point where she’ll fly to me on command) but I don’t know how to go about that because of how she’s clipped. Should I just wait until her right wing grows back the feathers, or should I start now? I have a clicker, millet spray and I’ve got her target trained with a stick, so how should I train her?
Anyway, thanks for reading, have an awesome day!

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
Like I said in the other thread, you should clip the other wing too (I'm not a fan of clipping too) so that she can balance evenly and not fall down. Once you do that, this video is very good :)

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Agreed that you need to clip the other wing, unless you can get a vet who is willing to imp the clipped one. A single wing is far more dangerous than having both clipped and I'm in constant amazement that the practice still exists at all.

You can start by training her to walk to you across her cage top or perch like it shows in the video ParrotNuts linked, and some short hops should be safe as well. That will at least set the groundwork for when she has her wings back.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I agree with both the above comments!
The uneven wing clip is much worse than an even wing clip- she will at least have some control if the wings are even as she will balance much better.

Eqiine

Meeting neighbors
Agreed that you need to clip the other wing, unless you can get a vet who is willing to imp the clipped one. A single wing is far more dangerous than having both clipped and I'm in constant amazement that the practice still exists at all.

You can start by training her to walk to you across her cage top or perch like it shows in the video ParrotNuts linked, and some short hops should be safe as well. That will at least set the groundwork for when she has her wings back.
Ive never heard of imping until now, and I unsure if any vets around would do that but I think it’d be easier to just wait it out. I’ll definitely consider and probably will get the other wings clipped (though it’s been 3 months). I’m also surprised and kind of sad that clipping one wing is still a thing, I get clipping birds if you have to but why just one wing?