• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best way to teach independence

Marelline

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsay
I've only had my Sun conure, Valor, for a few days now but so far he's been an angel (honeymoon phase probably, I know). I've been trying not to be too clingy because I want him to be okay being alone for a few hours during the day while also getting used to his new environment without being too overwhelmed. So I get up in the morning to feed him, leave him be for a few hours with some music on, and then ill spend 3-4 hours at least with him mostly talking to him, maybe just watching TV with him, but also seeing if he wants to come out. Sometimes he will step up and come out to be with me, other times he's more content with just hanging out in his cage so I let him do what he wants.

Does this seem like a good way to get my bird familiar with its new home? Is there anything else I should do or not do?

Side note about honeymoon phases: he has so far been relatively quiet. Some screaming when im talking to him (I'm trying to say "shhhh" when he screams to see if he will lower the decibel sometimes) but mostly just talk and squawk, with a little more active yelling when it's sunset but other than that he's been pretty quiet, just eating and climbing around his cage. How much more talking can I expect? I'm certainly familiar with the volume, so I'm curious what quantity is considered normal.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
If you get a sun conure, you get loud. It's normal :) every bird is different, so some sun conures are louder than others. Of course a bird that is bored and on a poor diet will be louder than his normal. Letting a bird explore his surroundings on his own terms is good, if you want to make it more interesting for him, then I would suggest showing him how to forage outside the cage.