• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best way to keep seeds fresh

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hello!

How do you guys store your seeds/spray millet etc. to keep them fresh for longer? I currently have mine in containers in a cool area but I don't know how air tight they are.

I only have the one budgie so a 1kg bag of seed mix is gonna last a LONG while. I also bought spray millet in bulk cause it was cheaper :wacky:

Reactions: Ali

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Once I've opened a sealed bag of seed I store it in the fridge. Millet is stored in a mason jar in a dark cupboard. Pellets get frozen and thawed in 100g (4oz) food bags.
Are there any storage instructions on the seeds? Best to follow them.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
We bought it the week we went into lockdown so we wouldn't need to go to the shop every week. We still have about half after 4.5 months ish

clarousel

Once I've opened a sealed bag of seed I store it in the fridge. Millet is stored in a mason jar in a dark cupboard. Pellets get frozen and thawed in 100g (4oz) food bags.
Are there any storage instructions on the seeds? Best to follow them.
The package doesn't actually say :( I may just store it in the fridge then although it's been opened a while.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I store my grains & seeds in normal plastic containers but in the fridge. They seem to get weevils if I keep them out of the fridge. I think they should keep fine since they are seeds?

clarousel

Is that like a huge dog food sack size? My dad buys millet in sacks those size :wacky:
My dad just told me his budgies go through 20kg of seed a month :eek: and the army continues to grow...

I store my grains & seeds in normal plastic containers but in the fridge. They seem to get weevils if I keep them out of the fridge. I think they should keep fine since they are seeds?
Cool! Yeah we tend to get weevils in rice and grains here too, sometimes in our flour even. I've just chucked my seeds in the fridge :)

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
No idea... I can never count them but definitely more than 20. Enough to make you feel terrified inside? :confused:
I was going to buy a flock from someone that could no longer keep them. Over 20 in the flock, but they sold before we could get them.

clarousel

I was going to buy a flock from someone that could no longer keep them. Over 20 in the flock, but they sold before we could get them.
Oh wow. Was this before you had your current birds?

Speaking of being terrified, I was once in there admiring their various colours when something spooked them and they all flew at me. I was in shock for a few seconds :roflmao: bird bullets...

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Kaytee Seed: Store in a cool, dry location. Refrigerate or freeze for extended storage.
Brown's Seed: Store in a cool, dry area before and after opening. Refrigerate for extended storage.

Kaytee Spray Millet: Store in a dry, cool location.
Brown's Spray Millet: Store in a cool, dry area before and after opening. Refrigerate for extended storage.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I put 1 mason jar each of pellets, sunflower seeds and safflower seeds in a bin next to my bird's cage, along with things like her nutriberries and nuts. The rest, whatever I have extra, goes into the vittles vault, which is airtight. Any seed that comes into my house gets frozen for 2 weeks just to kill off any moths or anything.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Oh wow. Was this before you had your current birds?

Speaking of being terrified, I was once in there admiring their various colours when something spooked them and they all flew at me. I was in shock for a few seconds :roflmao: bird bullets...

I only have fourteen in my aviary, but I can confirm that it is quite shocking to be at the center of a birdie tornado. My aviary is long and relatively narrow. The main flight path happens to also be where most visitors will naturally stand, along the central path. So if the birds decide to reposition all at the same time, it feels like they are flying right at you!

Before I bring people inside, I give a brief safety talk so they know to stand still and just let them fly past. There is no point in trying to move out of the way. They are just too fast. And they have never run into me, so standing still is probably safer than trying to dodge.

As far as seeds, I keep large amounts in air tight containers stored in a cool dry location. For seeds or pellets that I am using rarely, I store in the freezer, double-bagged.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I have a food vacuum sealer. I leave what my guys will eat in a month out in a Ziplock bag. The rest I vacuum seal and put in the freezer - millet, seeds, pellets.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't store mine in the fridge, and I usually go through about 4 to 6 pounds a month.
I buy 2 4 pound bags and keep them in an airtight plastic container.
No bugs yet, and I'm always checking.
If I bought bulk to last for longer I probably would freeze the extra.
Mine are mostly nuts, dried veggies and fruit, and a variety of seed.