• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best types of wood and rope for bird toys?

LydiaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
So recently I've been working on re-making my birds favorite toy that has been discontinued in every store I've looked at and I'm trying to figure out what wood types would be best to use. I'll include an image of the toy that I'm recreating so you can all get a better idea of what it looks like and what woods might be best for different sections of the toy. I did some research and was only really able to find lists of bird-safe woods, but not people's opinions on the BEST woods to use for toys. I'm just not sure which wood I should go with (softer vs harder, wood that doesn't splinter as easily, etc). Basically, I'm coming to you guys to see if you have any opinions on the best wood for the body of the dino and the best wood for the leg pieces. Also, what kind of rope should I be using? I've heard bad things about softer ropes, but my bird absolutely loves the soft rope. He finds it the most comforting and he's never eaten it and I try to keep the strands on the edges that fray out short enough that they wouldn't be able to wrap around his toes or anything. Any opinions would be appreciated, thank you!
Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 6.10.59 PM.png

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mizzely has some great Dino shaped toys like this. For the body I would recommend pine, and for the legs sifter words like balsa and mahogany for the rope I would recommend a stainless steel chain or natural rope @calibird has some great options

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Pine gets my vote too, but I have medium and large birds so I'd use it for each piece.
It's safe, fairly soft, readily available in a variety of dimensions, cheap, and easy to work with.

Edit to add that I like 1/4" paper rope... my guys enjoy shredding it.

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
@Mizzely has some great Dino shaped toys like this. For the body I would recommend pine, and for the legs sifter words like balsa and mahogany for the rope I would recommend a stainless steel chain or natural rope @calibird has some great options
One caution- depending on the dimensions chain can snag toenails

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My guess is that dino toy is made up of pine :)

Best is subjective to the bird, but for my shop/toys I use balsa, pine, willow, cottonwood, and sometimes basswood. I also use hardwood shapes occasionally

LydiaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
My guess is that dino toy is made up of pine :)

Best is subjective to the bird, but for my shop/toys I use balsa, pine, willow, cottonwood, and sometimes basswood. I also use hardwood shapes occasionally
Where do you get the dinosaur shapes that you use in your shop? Do you hand cut them yourself? Because that's what I've been resorting to. I made a stencil of the dinosaur shape and I'm gonna cut the shape out with a jigsaw. But if there's an easier way to do that where I can just order a dinosaur shape already cut out, that would be easier. Even then, I'd probably be too picky and end up making it myself, but still. I figured I'd see if there was any place I could find pre-cut dino shapes. Also, I've bought toys from you in the past and I love them! Just wanted to say that while I'm here lol.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Where do you get the dinosaur shapes that you use in your shop? Do you hand cut them yourself? Because that's what I've been resorting to. I made a stencil of the dinosaur shape and I'm gonna cut the shape out with a jigsaw. But if there's an easier way to do that where I can just order a dinosaur shape already cut out, that would be easier. Even then, I'd probably be too picky and end up making it myself, but still. I figured I'd see if there was any place I could find pre-cut dino shapes. Also, I've bought toys from you in the past and I love them! Just wanted to say that while I'm here lol.
Yes I hand cut every single one :) I use a bandsaw or scroll saw depending on the shape and my mood :lol:

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
This dino shape discussion is quite interesting to me :)

I understand why @Mizzely makes shapes (because it's us human customers with the credit card), but if I'm making my own, why go to that trouble?

(my guys destroy wood regardless of its shape)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

I understand why @Mizzely makes shapes (because it's us human customers with the credit card), but if I'm making my own, why go to that trouble?

Because of all the extra corners and ridges! :D They help encourage more reluctant chewers in my experience :)

LydiaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia

Well the thing is, his dinosaur is like his comfort toy. He doesn't like chewing on the body of the dinosaur. He wraps the legs of the dino around himself and sleeps like that. He LOVES cuddling with his dino. It's less to chew on and more to bring him comfort. He likes THIS toy shape and this toy shape specifically. It's been his favorite/comfort toy for years now. So I can't just go throwing in a whole new toy. He gets depressed when I take his dino away.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Appreciate the insight, thank you!

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe @Mizzely could make u something like this or seek the Dino base?

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
but if I'm making my own, why go to that trouble?
Because some birdies are picky enough that they want pointy shapes AND it colored a certain color or they ain’t touchin it. :)

And besides that, number one rule of toy making: if it’s ugly it’s sure to stick around and you’ll have to see it day after day. Gorgeous? Gone in a blink.