• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best type of Harrison's pellet

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Hello ^-^
Hope everyone has a good time.
So finally after a long time of search for a good pallet which is available in my country store i found Harrison's pellet.
It's my first bird and first time buy him pellet and i try my best to do search and ask here and you all helped me a lot *hearts*
Now i got confused with the variety formulas.
i found these are available in the store:
Tweety is 7-9 months male indain ringneck. his feathers are growing, a lot of pen feathers everywhere, also he seems to be small compares to other of his age in the size ( i've never weighed him i only guess) because he seems to be holding his molting due bad diet he used to have in the pet store.
he loves fruit and he's very picky about what veggies to eat so i don't know what to choice
I want the best for him in this condition ^^

Attachments

animalover

Jogging around the block
Hello ^-^
Hope everyone has a good time.
So finally after a long time of search for a good pallet which is available in my country store i found Harrison's pellet.
It's my first bird and first time buy him pellet and i try my best to do search and ask here and you all helped me a lot *hearts*
Now i got confused with the variety formulas.
i found these are available in the store:
Tweety is 7-9 months male indain ringneck. his feathers are growing, a lot of pen feathers everywhere, also he seems to be small compares to other of his age in the size ( i've never weighed him i only guess) because he seems to be holding his molting due bad diet he used to have in the pet store.
he loves fruit and he's very picky about what veggies to eat so i don't know what to choice
I want the best for him in this condition ^^
I would buy the fine size since its the easiest to eat from my experience, I buy the high potency one, im not sure which one you'll need, you should also probably wait for other more experienced members to answer! :)

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
I would buy the fine size since its the easiest to eat from my experience, I buy the high potency one, im not sure which one you'll need, you should also probably wait for other more experienced members to answer! :)
Yes sure!
Thank you btw :3

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Hey!
According to Harrisons you should feed the high potency formula for a period of atleast 8 months for birds that are transitioning, young birds, etc..
This one:
Here are some other useful information on it:

Just as a side note.. I followed their switching directions to the letter and it worked fine. But I also ate them in front of my bird (and offered one when he got interested) and with him until I saw he was readily eating them, always pretending they are the best thing I ever ate. :roflmao:

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Hey!
According to Harrisons you should feed the high potency formula for a period of atleast 8 months for birds that are transitioning, young birds, etc..
This one:
Here are some other useful information on it:

Just as a side note.. I followed their switching directions to the letter and it worked fine. But I also ate them in front of my bird (and offered one when he got interested) and with him until I saw he was readily eating them, always pretending they are the best thing I ever ate. :roflmao:
Thank youuu
Yes i do that with tweety sometimes XD i like how child alike they are, how cute :3

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Adult lifetime fine works the best for my birds, its easy to eat and it encourages them to eat less seeds because they prefer this brand more than any other bird food.

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
My birds eat high potency fine size, even my Galah :) she didn’t like the bigger size “Coarse”

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Good Luck!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
This link might be useful. It has feeding charts and recommendations for pellet size.

If you are curious, the main difference between High Potency and Lifetime, is that the HP formulations are geared toward birds with higher nutritional requirements. The reason why it is recommended to always start with HP for the first 6 to 8 months is because Harrisons is assuming that if you are transitioning your bird to pellets, they probably already have existing nutritional deficiencies and may also have underlying health problems. They might also be a new bird or experiencing other stresses which would raise nutritional needs.

The Lifetime formula is intended for healthy, stable birds. It might not be adequate to fix a bad vitamin deficiency, especially if the pellets are only a portion of the bird's total intake. Therfore, HP formulas are a better choice for transitioning birds or birds that are under stress (sick, molting, breeding, etc).

Most birds can stay on the High Potency formulas for life, according to Harrisons. Some species have higher nutritional requirements so Lifetime is not recommended at all.

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
This link might be useful. It has feeding charts and recommendations for pellet size.

If you are curious, the main difference between High Potency and Lifetime, is that the HP formulations are geared toward birds with higher nutritional requirements. The reason why it is recommended to always start with HP for the first 6 to 8 months is because Harrisons is assuming that if you are transitioning your bird to pellets, they probably already have existing nutritional deficiencies and may also have underlying health problems. They might also be a new bird or experiencing other stresses which would raise nutritional needs.

The Lifetime formula is intended for healthy, stable birds. It might not be adequate to fix a bad vitamin deficiency, especially if the pellets are only a portion of the bird's total intake. Therfore, HP formulas are a better choice for transitioning birds or birds that are under stress (sick, molting, breeding, etc).

Most birds can stay on the High Potency formulas for life, according to Harrisons. Some species have higher nutritional requirements so Lifetime is not recommended at all.
Thank you this explanation!!
I needed it indeed
Yes i already ordered HP so hopefully Tweety will eat them to gain what his body needs to grow healthy feathers and body
Thank you again

villandra

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dora Smith
Harrison's is nutritionally excellent, but extremely hard. I can't chew them. I can barely pound them. It seems like birds would ahve a hard time with them. In any case my little seed eaters have never touched them - or any other pellets. They do however eat the mash with their birdseed. Trick, trick, trick.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Harrison's is nutritionally excellent, but extremely hard. I can't chew them. I can barely pound them. It seems like birds would ahve a hard time with them. In any case my little seed eaters have never touched them - or any other pellets. They do however eat the mash with their birdseed. Trick, trick, trick.
It depends on the species, but as long as you provide the correct size pellets, I have never heard of parrots having a problem chewing pellets.