• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best travel cage for a big too

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I’m going to go ahead and get an appointment with my normal avian vet for Isadora, just because… well because I’m familiar with her and it would make me feel better.

however, when bringing Isadora home, it was a very large dog crate. There’s no way to put a perch in it, so when driving home she was sliding all over the towel that had been put on the floor of it. Which I think contributed a great deal to her motion sickness, because I’m pretty sure I would have gotten sick too. What is a good travel cage for something her size? Is there anything specific that I should look for?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
It’s metal crate. It’s a really nice crate for a dog honestly :roflmao: But the sides are solid-ish? I don’t know how to describe it, it’s like metal with decorative cutouts that allow light/air. I’ll get a pic so you know what I mean.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Perches help with stability while driving, but I have mixed thoughts about perches in travel cages depending on the destination.

If I'm going to be the one at the destination opening the crate door, my birds are likely going to step right out onto my hand (so I'd use a perch).

If, however, the vet is going to be the one opening the crate door, it's easier for them to "dump" a nervous/stubborn bird out onto the floor of the examination room if the bird doesn't have a perch to cling to. I don't think it's good for anyone if one of my macaws has something firm to grip onto while a strange hand attempts to reach into a confined space to pull them out (so I wouldn't use a perch).

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
The rescue I help with often uses dog crates to transport large birds but the kind with bars so they can attach a perch. I use a pak o bird for Elvis. In part because he's an escape artist and they are really secure. The rescue usually does an extra lock/clasp with the crates to make sure the 'toos can't open them.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I know dowel perches are a no but I’ve seen them slipped onto dog crates and vet taped or can you use zip ties to tie a perch to the dog crate how I tie my branches to my cage

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I use a cat crate for Birdie- they are not large like macs and do not have huge tails to accommodate so I find Birdie fits beautifully in the regular size crate that cats use. You can drill holes either side of the cat carriers to fix a perch, I just use a towel on the bottom as Birdie is not physically strong enough to safely use a perch while traveling.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've used a rope perch in a crate - I attach it to the sides where the window grate cutouts are, and bend it down in a U shape.

For my ringneck, who loses his balance in a Pak O Bird in the car, I actually hang a boing from the top of his travel crate, so that he's able to stay moving freely.

I also discovered both Cotton and Opie do much better if they can see outside, so I put the crate on top of a box that boots came in and use the seat belt to keep the crate steady.

My dog, too. She'll whine for 18 hours straight if she can't see out the window.