• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best Taming Method?

Jenna64

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone! :greet14:

I have two 7 week old budgies, and I've started taming them. The problem is there are so many taming methods out there. I've heard both that you should build trust by offering food. I've tried that sinces Sunday and they haven't touched the millet. I've been told by their breeder to just hold them and they will get used to it. I don't think this is a good idea for adult birds, but for baby budgies is this alright?

I'm new to birds and I'd love to hear how you bird experts tamed your birds! Please don't give my any methods that you have never tried. I'd love to hear methods that deffinatly work! Thanks in advance for any help you can give! :yahoo:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've been told by their breeder to just hold them and they will get used to it.
This is called flooding, and not accepted as ok.

It might take a while for them to gain enough confidence to come over, but give them time. Talk softly to them, don´t stare at them directly.
They have only just come to your home so they are still adjusting :)

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
There are lots of methods, but your best bet is to let them lead the way. When I brought home my first bird she was very scared. I found reading to her helped her get used to me, but it was by no means a fast process. She really didn't seem interested in much of anything for a few weeks. Once they've settled in more then you can start trying to teach them to step up etc. I was not expecting it to be months before I had this cute little bird who wanted to hang out with me, but birds really require you to earn their trust. We went really slow and sometimes had to back up a few steps, but it was completely worth it. She's my little buddy now. Congrats on your new birds and welcome to the Avenue. We love pics around here so don't be shy!

Jenna64

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the help Zara and Leih! That makes a lot of sense. For now I'll keep trying to feed them millet. Maybe they will try it one of these days! :)