• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best seed mix

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Does anyone else have birds on a seed diet with veggies and sprouts? How is it going?
Being completely honest then yes my birds are offered pellets every day but a low fat seed and frozen veggies and sprouts are what they eat regularly every day. They do pick at pellets but they are not an easy feed. This may not be what is readily reccommended but it is what it is. They eat ALL vegetables. I consider that a win.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine are offered a variety daily, but they won’t eat the pellets. Today I saw Marigold & Frosting picking at broccoli, so that was a plus. Pistachio, Marzipan, Aurelius & Winston kicked theirs out. :(

srkn77

Sitting on the front steps
Being completely honest then yes my birds are offered pellets every day but a low fat seed and frozen veggies and sprouts are what they eat regularly every day. They do pick at pellets but they are not an easy feed. This may not be what is readily reccommended but it is what it is. They eat ALL vegetables. I consider that a win.
Do you offer the pellets separately or put them into another mix or something?

I have just received the pellets and my first try was mixing a little portion with some millets. When I came back from work a few hours later, I saw some pellets still in the feeder and some dropped down, so couldn’t have a clear idea whether they indeed ate any of them or not. Tomorrow I will watch them closely.

My birds do eat almost any kind of veggies. Thats sure a good thing but they waste a lot, though. While they eat any veggie, chopped or as a whole held by a clip, I see lots of small pieces down the cage. Hopefully they eat some of the bites.:(

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Do you offer the pellets separately or put them into another mix or something?
I mix the pellets in with their seed. They usually pick out the seed and leave the pellets...lol. I also grind some pellets up and sprinkle them on their veggie chop mix. They seem to eat more this way. Sneaky but it works.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
My budgies dump seeds and pellets for fun.
My strategy to ensure they actually eat their pellets is to hand feed them. And I don’t mean I put them in my hand and they sit there and eat, I mean…..I place each individual pellet into their beak delicately for them. (It was hard to get them to accept pellets! This is how they prefer to eat them):bored: