• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best rope thickness for Lovebirds

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Hi and welcome!
:hello:

I personally would stick with the sisal rope.

Thickness needed depends on the use. Perches and climbing stuff you'd want something thicker than say a rope for making a hanging kabob toy.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Welcome!

I'd always recommend a variety of sizes.

My conure can grip my macaw's 2" Manila rope enough to hang her vent over the side so it doesn't soil.

(not suggesting you get 2" perches for a lovebird, just commenting they can adapt to larger perches than you might expect)

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
For toys you want it thin for toy parts holes since they are small like quarter of an inch, for perches and nets you'll want it thick, half. Sometimes if the rope is to thin I just twist it around it's self.

BlueLove

Moving in
Thank you for all the great tips! I am so happy I found this forum. :D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
For toys you want it thin for toy parts holes since they are small like quarter of an inch, for perches and nets you'll want it thick, half. Sometimes if the rope is to thin I just twist it around it's self.
Please be careful with twisting rope around itself, if it’s not done as neat, tight and perfectly as the newly purchased rope of the same size you’ll risk toes getting stuck really easy.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi all,

What's the best rope thickness to build some DIY toys? I came across these two, but I am not sure which size to pick:

Also, which material would be the best choice? 100% cotton or Sisal?

Thank you
I’d choose the sisal. Cotton rope can be very dangerous and not all cotton rope is made the same so some are much more dangerous than others.

BlueLove

Moving in
Please be careful with twisting rope around itself, if it’s not done as neat, tight and perfectly as the newly purchased rope of the same size you’ll risk toes getting stuck really easy.
Good point! I ordered the thicker size so no twisting would be needed but thank you for the heads-up.