• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best practices to *entice* picky* eaters to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Veggies, fruits and NEW foods please..:D

I like to chop my raw vegetables in the food processor and use Vegetable kabobs.

My best practice is sneaking tiny pieces of raw and cooked vegetables in the their mashed sweet potatoes..:dance4:or their oatmeal. They both love oatmeal and homemade mash.

Also LOTS and Lots of patience is required too.:rofl: What are your best practices?

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
LOL! I usually mix a can of pureed pumpkin or some seeds or crushed almonds to any food and the fids love it that way. That is how I got the rest of my fids to actually get excited about birdy bread, by putting pureed pumpkin in it, hehe!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pureed Pumpkin huh? :huh: Gotta remember that!!:highfive:

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
If mine get really fussy , I add sweet potatoes, they really like the canned ones.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I don't have too many picky eaters any more, But about the only thing mine won't eat is Carrots - doesn't matter how they're cut/cooked/not cooked etc. they refuse to eat them.. They have finally stopped throwing them on the floor :D and just leave them in the bowl

but if its in the bird bread ALL of it gets eaten including those "dreaded" carrots! And i swear the lick the bowls clean after bird bread time LOL

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also add all kinds of veggies to birdie bread.The only thing i haven't tried is the pumpkin.But i will next batch.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I eat it in front of Cookie and make a big deal about it :)

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
Hulled pumpkin seeds. Roca had no interest in vegetables in any form except for corn, but she loved hulled pumpkin seeds so I started out by putting them on top of her mash and slowly over several weeks mixing them into so she had to dig for them. It took a quite a few months of offering the mash (different ingredients but looked the same) before she started eating any of the mash, but she gets SO excited in the morning now when it's veggie time. I don't have to add the seeds anymore and she doesn't eat it all but her diet is much better.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Mango is spoiled and fussy and wont eat same thing 2 days in a row also dosent like getting his beak dirty if foods wet he dont want it in birdie bread i get away with what ever so i try to feed birdie bread alot every day if i have 2,3, kinds , sweet potato no porage no brocoli no , so what do you think i add to birdie bread yep but its so hard to bake , i also add pellets to it ,
Mango loves salad if i add egg and a bit of fetta cheese , im getting to the point i add a mix of every thing to his bowl and leave it , but also found out hes a night eater not a morning eater so he gets what i have at night

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I couldn't get Anna to eat a vegetable for anything..... I started making birdie bread with tons of pureed veggies in it, and I put a dab of macadamia butter in veggies now, microwave to warm it and mix it up, she is eating green beans, brussel sprouts and corn now!!!

Kita loves all veggies so I am thrilled about that!

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
I didn't have an amazon in the house that would touch a nutriberry (and I'm talking about offering two everyday for several months until a comment in a thread had me smear some peanut butter on them. ONLY then did the zon's realize that they were gourmet :D

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
hmmmmmmmmmmmm must try that MACADAMIA BUTTER where do you buy it or do you make your own
mango likes butter have to keep tight lid on it or hes in it loves butter wont touch peanut butter

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Birdie bread helps me sneak a lot of good veggies Ruby isn't interested in. Also sprinkling a little ground almond on top of cooked veggies sometimes works.

Status
Not open for further replies.