• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best playgyms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ph0enix

Sitting on the front steps
I am looking for a good playstand for my hahns macaw, he's really active, and loves climbing around. I think I would prefer a "tree" type but I am open to anything.

Djuna

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
I know you can buy some really nice play gyms but have you thought about making your own with PVC and sisal rope? They are fairly easy to put together and the great thing about them is you can dismantle them and change them round when your bird gets sick of it.

This is one of my hubbys creations;

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I do not know much about play gyms but that looks like a good homemade one maybe some else can answer as well:hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh I love that pvc one!!! How creative your hubby is!

I have quite a few...a manzanita stand, three hanging bottlebrush gym, a large parrot tower and a smaller table top one, a kings small gym, a bottlebursh stand, a metal stand with ladders, and I use hanging boings and rope type swings, and a net gym.

The favorites here are the hanging ones that have movement.....my birds will hang out on them forever!

Last edited:

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
Kiwi LOVES her bottlebrush gym! I love it too! I bought the table top one so it was easier to move around but they do have a free standing one too! I got it from Golden Cockatoo. Here is what Kiwi's gym looks like:

IMG_2007a.jpg

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Kiwi LOVES her bottlebrush gym! I love it too! I bought the table top one so it was easier to move around but they do have a free standing one too! I got it from Golden Cockatoo. Here is what Kiwi's gym looks like:

View attachment 3262
Jade has one like that but on a stand...she loves it too!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Very nice looking gyms! I like the pvc because it's easy to clean and vet wrap or rope tied around takes care of any slipperiness.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
I have a manzanita stand that Luca plays on all the time an I have a bottlebrush gym for Jack that he spends alot of time on He chews it alot, but loves the hanging toy. I am thinking of getting Zoe a bottlebrush gym also. Maybe for Christmas. I got Jack's from Golden Cockatoo and was so happy with their customer service.

Last edited:

Cydney

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cydney
I've made a standing wood gym and a cagetop PVC gym for Kai, he likes them both and they were both super cheap to make!

Ph0enix

Sitting on the front steps
What about java tree's like this?

I think I want something very similar to this.

ISTS - Islandwood Java Tree Playstands - Small

Is there anywhere that would have a better price? 4ft tall sounds pretty good, I'll just have to add wheels on the base I suppose.
What do you think?

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
That java stand is real nice. I have a similar one but sand blasted manzanita....my birds use it to just sit on but don't do much climbing or playing....they prefer to hang! lol

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
The only thing I was told about playstands was to make sure the wood wasn't "slippery" for them. My manzanita stand is sandblasted like Leslie's and that is the same thing I like about the bottlebrush. The other thing is none of mine chew on the manzanita, but Jack chews the heck out of the bottle brush and you can replace just the top part when he chews it up. He loves chewing on it. Also, make sure you can get eye hooks into the ends so you can hang toys. I am not a professional stand maker....... lol... just some info I gained along the way.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That PVC stand is amazing!!!

I like the java wood one too, it looks pretty nice with all the branches.

I made my own out of Sycamore when we had the trees out here trimmed (they've never been sprayed with pesticide). I prefer the tree types to stands, but the PVC creations are awesome too!

Attachments

Djuna

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
Although our spoiled birds have awesome playgyms all over the house, their all time favourite playgym of all is ME :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hendryx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
I have to agree,out of every playstand in the house all of my fids love the hanging nets most of all..

Status
Not open for further replies.