• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

best pigeon diet?

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
I was wondering what an optimal pigeon diet would be. The only articles I've read have been very surface level and I still have many questions. pellets, seeds, or a mixture of both? how often should you feed vegetables? do they also eat any grains, herbs, sprouts, etc? do they need grit or supplements?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Ephy

Walking the driveway
My pidge,,eats Volkmans cockatiel mix, no sunflower seeds, millet, Zupreem fruit mix, broccoli florets, scrambled eggs, cornbread. Shaved cuttlebone, No grit!
hey, great question! I am also very curious although I have a dove and not a pigeon

I am really curious on why you say no grit, i know its a controversial subject.

Also, (dont want to take over this thread), but is it possible to put together a dove seed blend that is healthier and less dusty than store bought brands?

Yesterday, I picked a ROCK, a rock! Of all things to find in my bird seed. Not happy about that at all.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My doves eat the cockatiel mix also, I say no grit because they can overindulge on it,,,crop impaction, ..dont know about the mix it yourself, but look into small pellets, also try the fresh foods..sprouts, broccoli florets..I've picked rocks outta my food too, Guess it gets past the "rock picker ".. :lol:

tacotaco

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeremy
My pidge,,eats Volkmans cockatiel mix, no sunflower seeds, millet, Zupreem fruit mix, broccoli florets, scrambled eggs, cornbread. Shaved cuttlebone, No grit!
Do you mind elaborating a little on your qualms with grit lol? I know it’s a controversial topic. I’d love to get your feedback