• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best Parrotlet Species for Me

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
Hello everyone! After a lot of research I’ve decided that Parrotlets are the right bird for me. However, now, I realize how many different species of Parrotlets there are.

I’m hoping for a parrotlet that’s more trainable, can talk (yes, I know this is not a given and I accept that), and more confident and maybe outgoing (the best example that came to mind was free flighting, but I know how dangerous that is. Still, it can serve as a hypothetical standard). Also, I’d love if the bird was on the smaller size. I of course know that every bird is different and generalizations cannot be relied on but I believe that it will at least serve as a starting point.

Thank you in advance!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
The most common species of parrotlet in the pet trade is Forpus coelestis. Known as either pacific parrotlets or celestial parrotlets. Other species of parrotlet are fairly rare in the aviculture pet market, but sometimes do become available as pets. There are lots of mutations of pacific parrotlets, and you will likely see a range of colours from yellow, blue, green and white.

I have two parrotlets (Forpus coelestis) and they are very active and independent birds. Training is achievable, but personally I think this expectation should be reconsidered. Your bird will need to entertain themselves and will need to engage with enrichment toys even if you are away. Training may be something you do in little spurts 10 min, or so, throughout the day, but it will not make up the majority of their life. I think supporting their independence will help them thrive more than training. Parrotlets are birds who can self mutilate if they don't have outlets for their energy and attitudes.

Parrotlets also require diets very high in fresh veggies (with limited fruit), they cannot thrive on seed and/or pellet alone. I spend about 30 min each morning on my parrots' breakfasts. I enjoy this time :) But it is something to take on board if you are planning on getting a parrotlet.

In regards to size, parrotlets will surprise you. Yes they are normally less or around 30g, but they are strong in very impressive ways. They also have very sharp beaks and their bites often cause bleeding. Their size has many advantages one of which is they can express all of their flight behaviours in the home. However their small size, paired with their big attitude, does also place them at risk in our home. They can get crushed, fall into precarious spots, get stepped on. We take a lot of precautions when they little ones are out, they are very active and explore everything! In regards to bites too, parrotlets do use their beaks very roughly even amongst each other, it is rare to never get bit. It hurts, but it isn't the end of the world, and in theory most bites can be avoided...however, someone needs to tell Picard to stop jumping on my head and biting my scalp and ripping my hair out! ... that little brat!

Reactions: tka

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
The most common species of parrotlet in the pet trade is Forpus coelestis. Known as either pacific parrotlets or celestial parrotlets. Other species of parrotlet are fairly rare in the aviculture pet market, but sometimes do become available as pets. There are lots of mutations of pacific parrotlets, and you will likely see a range of colours from yellow, blue, green and white.

I have two parrotlets (Forpus coelestis) and they are very active and independent birds. Training is achievable, but personally I think this expectation should be reconsidered. Your bird will need to entertain themselves and will need to engage with enrichment toys even if you are away. Training may be something you do in little spurts 10 min, or so, throughout the day, but it will not make up the majority of their life. I think supporting their independence will help them thrive more than training. Parrotlets are birds who can self mutilate if they don't have outlets for their energy and attitudes.

Parrotlets also require diets very high in fresh veggies (with limited fruit), they cannot thrive on seed and/or pellet alone. I spend about 30 min each morning on my parrots' breakfasts. I enjoy this time :) But it is something to take on board if you are planning on getting a parrotlet.

In regards to size, parrotlets will surprise you. Yes they are normally less or around 30g, but they are strong in very impressive ways. They also have very sharp beaks and their bites often cause bleeding. Their size has many advantages one of which is they can express all of their flight behaviours in the home. However their small size, paired with their big attitude, does also place them at risk in our home. They can get crushed, fall into precarious spots, get stepped on. We take a lot of precautions when they little ones are out, they are very active and explore everything! In regards to bites too, parrotlets do use their beaks very roughly even amongst each other, it is rare to never get bit. It hurts, but it isn't the end of the world, and in theory most bites can be avoided...however, someone needs to tell Picard to stop jumping on my head and biting my scalp and ripping my hair out! ... that little brat!
Thank you! I have done a fair bit of research into Parrotlets and I know and accept that the bird I get may very well not be a representation of the traits that I have listed. Fresh veggies everyday is definitely not a hassle for me, having had sugar gliders in the past. I do appreciate your thoughts on training as I would never had even thought about that.