• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best new bird to go with a male Tiel?

Szandor

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
Hi! I've made a couple posts here about my Tiel named Sam, and I'm thinking of getting him a brother later this year! I've heard a lot of different things about which breeds and sexes of breeds are best for a male Cockatiel, but thought I'd ask here as well. He's quite friendly, has had some socializing with other birds (even wild birds from the safety of being behind a window) and is about 6 months old!

Thanks for any answers <3

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
What about another Tiel?:) Then you Will have the biggest chance of them being friends plus the smallest risks of injuries. What species are you thinking about?(to give more specific advise) birds like Senegals I wouldn’t let out at the same time because of the beak difference(a bit could kill your Tiel), or at least not without close supervision. Birds like lovebirds can overpower a Tiel(who are generally very easy going and Will not stand up for themselves) easily. That can lead to bullying, so again supervision is needed.

Szandor

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
What about another Tiel?:) Then you Will have the biggest chance of them being friends plus the smallest risks of injuries. What species are you thinking about?(to give more specific advise) birds like Senegals I wouldn’t let out at the same time because of the beak difference(a bit could kill your Tiel), or at least not without close supervision. Birds like lovebirds can overpower a Tiel(who are generally very easy going and Will not stand up for themselves) easily. That can lead to bullying, so again supervision is needed.
I was thinking maybe either a budgie or a conure of some kind, or possibly another Tiel!

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
I agree same species may be best.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I agree, another tiel would be easier for you, Sam, and for the new bird!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Tiels are pretty laid back and may get bullied by other species. Conures especially I wouldn't get with the intention of them being friends. Another consideration is that cockatiel powder down can be harmful to species that are from the Americas (New World species, including conures).

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Birds are not breed like cats and dogs. We refer to the bird types as species. Same species is best. Why do you want to mix species?

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Another male tiel ! No worries about egg laying or egg binding. 2 Males can get along just as well as a male and a female. Of course every bird is an individual, but for them to get along the best , get another tiel ! They might be able to be cage mates after 1-4 months of getting to know each other !

Almost all other species would bully the cockatiel. However, I am not positive on the matchup of lineolated parakeets, they seem more docile like cockatiels. only in the very rare cases have budgies and cockatiels got along together in the same cage. If the cage is super big, or if the two were paired together as very young and had a good friendship from the beginning , and the budgie had a laid back personality. Not all budgies have laid back personalities, a lot are spunky. I have two budgies, one is spunky, the other is laid back. The spunky one tries to knock over the other ones food dish . He also gets in his face all the time for kisses. He is super playful. Poncho is more laid back and isn't as bold.