• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best Lighting for calcium absorption??

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Good Morning!! I just got some blood work results back on Mickey and Kozmo (white bellied caiques, 7 year old females), and found out that they are having issues absorbing calcium. They really hate their carrier, so I don't get them outside for sunlight. They are on a good quality pellet (Tropican Alternative Formula---no corn/soy, with vitamins added). So I'm looking into lighting and am suddenly confused! I found this Full Spectrum LED lamp on Amazon, and thought "Great!" Then I read one of the manufacture's responses to a question, and thought "What??" So now I'm confused. I thought that Full Spectrum included the UV spectrum, but the manufacturer's answer says that it is impossible for a bulb to contain the UV spectrum (I don't know how believable this is...?? I know that we can't put the sun in a light bulb!). I just want my babies to be able to absorb calcium and be healthier! Confusion!! I'm looking for guidance, advice, thoughts, best bulb type to achieve calcium absorption ... I don't want to bombard my vet with questions about bulb particulars (unless that's what I need to do). Thank you!!:wacky:

This is the manufacturer's response to a question regarding light spectrum:
"There is no UV content in this light and most manufacturers who claim to have UV do not either. (keep reading for proof) The bottom line is that it is physically impossible (as in the laws of physics) to simulate natural sunlight with any type of light bulb. The lies of lamp manufacturers have been proven and published by independent testing labs for close to 20 years but it is a VERY long and complicated discussion that fries the brain of most people. I have written an article and done a video to help people understand but Amazon will not allow links to be posted. Go to the web site that has billions of videos, You know which Tube I'm talking about, and search for "Full Spectrum Lamp Myth Revealed". You can also google "full spectrum lighting in the bird room" and scroll down until you see M&M cage see less "

M&M Cage Company - Bird Cage Light with Chew Guard for Hook Bill Birds - Full Spectrum LED Pet Lamp - Simulates Natural Environment -

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There are a few people on this site (not me) who have done extensive research on lighting and UVA/B requirements for birds.

I'll tag a couple of possibilities for you.
@JLcribber , @Macawnutz

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Full spectrum technically refers to the color spectrum.

Here is what I learned about D3

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Full spectrum Avian lighting includes UV-A and UV-B. While UV-B helps our birds (and ourselves) produce vitamin D3 the amount made available by the avian lighting is minimal at best.
As your birds eat pellets then there really should be no shortage of D3. So if they are getting D3 then there must be a shortage of calcium in their diet.