• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best Humidifier for Home with a Bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolyn

Moving in
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and actually found it while researching humidifiers. Thanks for all the good information!

I need to find a good humidifier that can humidify multiple rooms. I understand from my research that warm mist is best for birds and am considering a Honeywell HM450 or Sunpentown SPT SU-4010 Warm Mist.

The Sunpentown has a negative ion generator. Is this harmful to birds. I'm confused about the difference between this an an ionizer.

Thanks for any advice. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many well rated, affordable humidifiers!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Actually, it's the cool mist that is safest for use with birds-- the warm mist can get VERY hot and can pose a safety hazard.

Unfortunately I don't know much about humidifiers that can handle multiple rooms, but recently on the forum a few of us have invested in Germ Guardians, myself included. I am very, very pleased with mine, but it is definitely only a one-room humidifier. One of our members has also bought an Air-o-Swiss and is very happy with it as well.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I do have the same one GG and I really like it. It is in my large open family room which is also open to the rest of the first floor. It does a good job.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
The warm mist ones often have teflon on the part that is heated, and that has the potential to cause fumes that can kill a bird.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a warm mist humidifier that I run at night when the birds are in their cages (so that there is no scalding hazard--although I doubt it would be much of an issue, since the output area on mine doesn't really get that hot). My understanding is that the cool mist ones can put bacteria into the air. Since the whole reason I have the thing is that my Hahn's is prone to bacterial nasal/sinus infections, that's the last thing I want--so I use the warm mist, which boils the water, thus killing the bacteria so that the mist is sterile. There are pros and cons to both.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I recently got a Germ Guardian.... programmable... with a night light
feature....so far....I love it

Carolyn

Moving in
Thanks, everyone, for your quick replies! I was using information from Air Humidifiers / Vaporizers: Learn about the benefits and find recommendations on the use and kind of humidifier for your specific need., but it really helps to know what works for others based on experience. I can't seem to find a warm mist large enough for multiple rooms so will probably go with the Kenmore 12 gallon cool mist and try to keep it super clean!

By the way, I have an adorable cockatiel named Mango who also thanks you!!

Attachments

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Mango is adorable!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
So glad you found our forum Carolyn. Mango is adorable. I use a cool mist humidifier. As long as you use proper hygiene and refill everyday with a good weekly cleaning with bleach in the tank and white vinegar in the basin I find they work very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.