• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best gender for a second bird?

Caitlyn74

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a female cockatiel, and am planning on getting a budgie sometime this summer. I would like for them to get along as well as possible, and hopefully give each other some company when I am not home. I really have no preference on gender for the budgie, but I was wondering if they would get along better depending on the gender of the budgie. Does the gender matter at all, or is it just the individual birds? Thanks.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I think it's in the individual birds, although I was on a thread once and some people said the females are bossy. Mine definitely is. But without hardcore evedince I can't Say for sure. You should start a poll to find out, results could be interesting

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would go with male budgie. Just a feeling, no specific reasons.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If they were the same species, gender would matter more.

For different species, it likely won't have that much impact on how much they like each other. Hopefully, your tiel is very patient. Budgies have a lot of energy and tend to annoy bigger birds.

Caitlyn74

Checking out the neighborhood
If they were the same species, gender would matter more.

For different species, it likely won't have that much impact on how much they like each other. Hopefully, your tiel is very patient. Budgies have a lot of energy and tend to annoy bigger birds.
That’s what I figured, but wanted to make sure. I’m more worried about her being afraid of the budgie, than her getting annoyed by them. We had a canary in the past that was quite the bully to her, and she never did anything.