• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best foods for birds during Spring (Reducing hormones)

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
I was wondering if anyone could give me an extensive list on foods that help during this time of the year? So far I've heard leafy greens and chickpeas but no one seems to be listing specifics.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
i too would really like to know but don't have much info on this

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Reduce protein. Try Hormone Havoc tea from Grey Manor Provisions, too. It helped Annie.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Protein and fat are usually what breeders use to help get their animals into condition. These are things that when the body gets an influx, it starts to stop worrying about food and worrying about makin' babies!

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Protein and fat are usually what breeders use to help get their animals into condition. These are things that when the body gets an influx, it starts to stop worrying about food and worrying about makin' babies!
thank you! any foods you would recommend specifically ? that are best for now I mean :)

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Since you want to AVOID stimulating hormones, try to do the opposite. Limit fat and protein, rather than increasing it. Do not cut it out of the diet entirely, both are necessary for a healthy diet. Just don't over-do it.

For example, you would want to limit offering eggfood (high in protien) or oily seeds (high in fat).

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Soy proteins can potentially be a trigger as well as warm, mushy foods. Feeding "dryer" foods during hormonal periods may help.

Increase foraging activities so more time is spent looking for food than simply just eating it out of a dish.

If a bird is being fed pellets, then changing pellets (i.e. Harrison's HP to AL or maybe just a completely different pellet entirely) may help.