• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BEST food for Quaker? help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alohaimee

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Aimee
I will go through and read all the threads that exisit already when I have a bit more time (not much of that with a newborn in the house!) but what is THE BEST food for a Quaker?

Squirt "eats" Lafebers pellets, Nutriberries treats (all flavors but prefers the fruit ones) and Vita Parrot seed mix (I know, I know...she was on it when I got her and I introduced pellets but she will just not eat if I don't offer the seeds too!! UG) She either throws the pellets on the floor or drowns them in her water and picks apart the nutriberries. I also give her fresh fruits and veggies daily.

I've tried all the pellet varieties my local pet store carries and she will pick at everything but only actually eats the sunflower seeds! I know they are NOT good for her at all and with her plucking and whatnot I am starting to really really worry about her and want her on the best food I can get to make her as healthy as possible. I've tried everything I can buy here and the sales people at the store probably think I am a basket case so I NEED HELP!

Anyone know of a online store that sells good quality food for her? Should I just cut her off the seeds cold turkey and only offer the pellets and fruit/vegs? What can I cook for her? She alwasy eats egg and cheese off my plate, but I am not sure if that is really good to give her daily...She will try anything I offer her so she isn't picky in that sense, but getting her to continually eat is hard! Anyway, sorry for all the questions. I am just so worried about her and want her eating the best to see if maybe it helps her stop plucking!

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Have you tried any of the Goldenfeast foods ? Mine love the petite hookbill, the granola medley, there are many kinds of them, for people foods, my fids love to eat Quinoa, vegtables, eggs, chicken (,cut up in tiny pieces) birdie bread, they eat the roudy bush pellets to, but I like to give my fids a nice variety too. hope that gives you some ideas.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
You could try sprouting seed? You won’t be cutting out the seed completely, just sprouting it instead which is a lot more beneficial!

Keiko (Quaker) absolutely loves sprouted seed, and you can sprout the sunflower seeds too which are also a lot healthier once sprouted.

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
You could try sprouting seed? You won’t be cutting out the seed completely, just sprouting it instead which is a lot more beneficial!

Keiko (Quaker) absolutely loves sprouted seed, and you can sprout the sunflower seeds too which are also a lot healthier once sprouted.
Agreed! Best food ever... SPROUTS!
And my Quaker will literally stuff herself FULL of sprouts!!!

alohaimee

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Aimee
Do I just buy sprouts at the grocery store (like bean sprouts??)? As for the sunflower sprouts, I just get some seeds and dirt like from home depot, and grow them myself?! That easy??

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Veggie mix would be really good to give him, you can give him different variations of this of course.

Loofa likes Oatmeal (nothing added just PLAIN oatmeal, no salt -be sure to check ingredients) I mix a little egg and then all the veggies I have around the house in it for him.

Fruits are more treats, you don't want to give them as much as veggies.

Here's some threads for ya
http://forums.avianavenue.com/feathered-food-court/385-avian-avenue-cafe.html#post19412 mine is similar to this, I just add more veggies to it and then I freeze into ice cube trays because I don't have very many birds.
http://forums.avianavenue.com/feathered-food-court/385-avian-avenue-cafe-2.html#post579485 great example of birdie bread

Status
Not open for further replies.