• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best flight cage for 8 budgies

Birdtawk

Meeting neighbors
Hi I was wondering if anyone had opinions on a good flight cage for my 8 male budgies. Right now they're all paired up in separate prevue flight cages. They all get along though. I let them out every day for a few hours as well to fly about.

I'm trying to decide between these 4 cages. I know the bigger the better but I live in a small apartment and I may have to wheel it into a different room and stuff. I'm leaning towards prevue flight XL or the A & E bc it's more moveable but the extra double flight would be so cool and they would love it. But also how could I clean a such a large cage in my tub? I don't have a yard where I could hose it down!

A & E single door flight cage

Prevue wrought iron flight cage XL

Pawhut double cage

Extra large double M cage

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
The last two seem like the best option but, if this cage can fit in your apartment it might be the best option: Cage

@AussieBird might be able to help more

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You do not need to be able to put a cage in a tub or outside to be cleaned- you can simply clean it without moving or hosing it down- I can not get my bird cages through the doors so I just wet wipe them all over well with a light detergent then wipe them over with a clean wet cloth (twice if needed) to remove any detergent residue then spray with F10SC and let dry.

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
The double cage is the best option, either of them. I keep 4 budgies in one cage so I think two would be adequate for 8 birds.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies, also all males, sometimes bicker with their buddies. I'd be leery of putting 8 budgies all together. What if there's an odd budgie out? Like you, mine are all paired in flight cages. :)

Edited to tag @AussieBird , whose 5 budgies, used to be 6, all share a flight cage, but they're a mix of males & females.

Birdtawk

Meeting neighbors
You do not need to be able to put a cage in a tub or outside to be cleaned- you can simply clean it without moving or hosing it down- I can not get my bird cages through the doors so I just wet wipe them all over well with a light detergent then wipe them over with a clean wet cloth (twice if needed) to remove any detergent residue then spray with F10SC and let dry.
What about all that budgie dust though? I feel like wetting the cage does a better job of that? But maybe wiping is sufficient?

Birdtawk

Meeting neighbors
My budgies, also all males, sometimes bicker with their buddies. I'd be leery of putting 8 budgies all together. What if there's an odd budgie out? Like you, mine are all paired in flight cages. :)

Edited to tag @AussieBird , whose 5 budgies, used to be 6, all share a flight cage, but they're a mix of males & females.
I think that might end up happening bc I have one budgie who is a weirdo and annoys the others. He can stay in a different cage if he gets too noodgy.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What about all that budgie dust though? I feel like wetting the cage does a better job of that? But maybe wiping is sufficient?
Wet cloth has the dust stick to it- works fine for both my indoor cages

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
So what I am gathering you currently have 4 flight cages?
For eight budgies together I'd go no less then a double flight. If you cant figure out how to clean it properly how about 2 separate large flights and then just split the budgies 4 to a cage?
I dont remember actually have all six of mine in a cage together... I think the most was five, I would prefer 4 but just can't justify leaving one by themself unless there is an issue. LJ and Sunbeam had a separate littler cage set up special for LJ.

Birdtawk

Meeting neighbors
For eight budgies together I'd go no less then a double flight. If you cant figure out how to clean it properly how about 2 separate large flights and then just split the budgies 4 to a cage?
I dont remember actually have all six of mine in a cage together... I think the most was five, I would prefer 4 but just can't justify leaving one by themself unless there is an issue. LJ and Sunbeam had a separate littler cage set up special for LJ.

Yes, I have 4 flight cages, 2 budgies to a cage. 2 of the flight cages are that extra tall kind too. I think I'll get this double flight, its a tiny bit smaller and would be easier to clean https://www.amazon.com/Mcage-Double-Wrought-Divider-Cockatiel/dp/B0B3SLNW49?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

One of my budgies is a little pushy and annoys the others so sometimes if he causes problems, I put him in a separate cage but it's right next to the others so he's not lonely or anything.

Birdtawk

Meeting neighbors
Wet cloth has the dust stick to it- works fine for both my indoor cages
Ok cool, I'll do that then. Thanks, for some reason I thought I'd have to hose the whole thing down. I mean I would if I could!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ok cool, I'll do that then. Thanks, for some reason I thought I'd have to hose the whole thing down. I mean I would if I could!
I prefer not to do that even if I could. Cages here will rust fast if wet like that due to the frame bars not always being perfectly welded closed- if water gets into the frame then it wont be long till the cage is not safe. I have only ever used a wet soapy cloth, fresh new wet rinse cloth (and fresh water and cloth a second time if still sudsy) then dry it off. I actually have 4 cages inside I clean like that but only 2 are used a lot.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I was reading the reviews and when the divider is removed the bar spacing is 1in.

I'd cover that area with some SS mesh or wood ;)

Birdtawk

Meeting neighbors
Oh teah I would totally cover up that gap- I always save extra cage stuff so I'm certain I have some wire things that could go over it. What's SS mesh? Stainless steel?

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Oh teah I would totally cover up that gap- I always save extra cage stuff so I'm certain I have some wire things that could go over it. What's SS mesh? Stainless steel?
Yes, stainless steel :)

Birdtawk

Meeting neighbors
I decided to go for the big one, 64 inches! The budgies are gonna be psyched!