• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best experiences with macaws?

Kiworan

Meeting neighbors
I've been doing a bunch of research on macaws lately, even though I know I won't be able to properly care for larger birds for a while still, meaning a few years. However, I'd still love to know any of your favourite experiences with your lovely macaws, or maybe some that aren't your own. So, what are your guys' best experiences with macaws, or even worst experiences?

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Best experience was I was able to get her out of a bad home 19 years ago & she bonded with me. She was abused, kept in a tiny cage in the dark, had 2 inch long nails & was very filthy. She has a very silly personality & loves to be in the middle of everything. Worst experience was when she was dx'd with kidney disease recently.

You need to think hard about getting a large bird. They require a very large cage, eat a lot more than a budgie does & require a lot of large toys. An average vet bill an start at $250 & go to several hundred. They can live 70 to 100 years, if healthy. According to your other posts you are young & have a long way to go in life. Getting a macaw at a young age, pre college, a job, house, etc., not a good suggestion & not fair to the bird.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Other than the personal relationship I now have with my bird after earning his trust the best part about having my macaw is how busy he keeps me, physically and mentally. I always have a smile on my face while I’m scrubbing his pooped on belongings and my pooped on walls and floors which may sound crazy but I think ya kinda have to be crazy to want a macaw in your life. Everything about my life centres around my boy and meeting his needs which is exactly what I need to keep me going.
I think the best experiences for most of us macaw owners will be the exact same as the experiences that owners/ companions of smaller birds have..... being accepted and trusted by any bird is an amazing gift.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My best experiences are the little ones. That constant companionship.

The softly whispered 'Hi' while I'm watching TV. That softly drawn out 'Umm looks good, huh? while I'm cooking.
The intelligence in those eyes while I tell Chaos a story, or show him something new, like a new sweater or my new hair color, how he tilts his head and pushes it closer to me as he listens intently.

The best moments are when we're connecting. And that happens on a regular basis. It's when he tells my Goffin to 'Knock it off' a second before I do, or even when he lies about phone calls to get me back into the living room. When we both hear a sound, and catch each other's eyes at the same moment.

It's when he shows how much he understands. How he'll lean in the direction he wants to go as I ask if wants to play in my bedroom, or watch TV with me on his perch. When he waits for that fist bite if I tell him 'It's hot!', his little sneaky measures to get to the things he knows I don't like him touching, and then the laugh when caught.

It's sharing my life and home with a friend, and not just a pretty bird.

Kiworan

Meeting neighbors
Best experience was I was able to get her out of a bad home 19 years ago & she bonded with me. She was abused, kept in a tiny cage in the dark, had 2 inch long nails & was very filthy. She has a very silly personality & loves to be in the middle of everything. Worst experience was when she was dx'd with kidney disease recently.

You need to think hard about getting a large bird. They require a very large cage, eat a lot more than a budgie does & require a lot of large toys. An average vet bill an start at $250 & go to several hundred. They can live 70 to 100 years, if healthy. According to your other posts you are young & have a long way to go in life. Getting a macaw at a young age, pre college, a job, house, etc., not a good suggestion & not fair to the bird.
That's so amazing, saving a bird from a bad home. I also agree with all you said in the second paragraph, I know I'm still way too inexperienced for a large bird, but maybe I'll be able to provide it what it needs in the future someday. Thank you for your answer!

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's so amazing, saving a bird from a bad home. I also agree with all you said in the second paragraph, I know I'm still way too inexperienced for a large bird, but maybe I'll be able to provide it what it needs in the future someday. Thank you for your answer!
You're welcome. I don't know your location, but I'd suggest looking for a parrot rescue/sanctuary/etc. & do some volunteer work. You can get hands on education of how life with a large parrot would be. There are many abused & neglected parrots that need loving homes.

Kiworan

Meeting neighbors
You're welcome. I don't know your location, but I'd suggest looking for a parrot rescue/sanctuary/etc. & do some volunteer work. You can get hands on education of how life with a large parrot would be. There are many abused & neglected parrots that need loving homes.
I've actually been looking for a rescue around my area, but nothing popped up. For now, the best I can really do is do a bunch of research :')

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'll second that.
I've actually been looking for a rescue around my area, but nothing popped up. For now, the best I can really do is do a bunch of research :')
You can read and research until your eyes bug out. You will never be ready for a parrot until you get your hands dirty in the trenches (rescue). Until that happens all you have is a "vision" of what being owned by parrot 24/7/365 is like without any reality to base it on. Rescues are overflowing with reality.

Last edited:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I transported some birds from a home to a rescue after a fire, and there were two macaws in our home for a day. I've got NO macaw experience except for the ones at the rescue, and most of those are not tame and lunge at me. One of the macaws in our home escaped his crate, and my husband and I had to get him back in. He was kind and gentle and slow and took treats nicely and stepped up nicely. We got him back in with no problems at all. Also, the two macaws never even flinched when I reached in their crates to give food and water. Those two have forever changed my mind on macaws, they really can be more than just lunging, screaming, scary birds. I'm still intimidated, but I hope to overcome it some day!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
In addition to my other job in technology, and taking care of my flock at home, I work part-time at a local bird store. We get surrendered birds frequently. They all have their own stories, and sometimes we don't get the whole story or even a true story. We've had birds surrendered that were abused. Some happen where the owners have died unexpectedly and the birds were found in the house days later. It's really sad. Someone surrendered a 19 year old female blue & gold a few months ago. I won't share the information surrounding the surrender because it makes me want to hurt someone. She was partially bare and bruised. She also had some birth defects that made holding her a challenge. Considering her limitations, and whatever she had gone through she was really sweet. She did prefer men to women, and once she got over her initial adjustment period her personality really blossomed. She was really loud, but she loved having her head scratched and let me pick her up any time I can by her stand. If I had the room I would have taken her in a heartbeat. One of our regular customers started to spend time with her and she absolutely adored her husband. They took her home and now she's with someone who will love her as much as she loves them. Seeing all the surrenders that come in is heartbreaking. The joy comes when one of them goes to a good family that we know can give them the best possible life. It's amazing to see them come back for grooming, or just to visit and you can see their own joy.

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Best experience is seeing them fly outdoors as intended and then resting/enjoying themselves in an aviary or kept at liberty outside.
This is a lifestyle due to the intensive training required but there is no greater reassurance for their safety and joy once attained.
(out flying with Christina, chan, Ryan, and their flocks)

Screenshot_20200117-045350_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200117-045445_Facebook.jpg
20200117_050250.jpg