• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best Canary Cage

Dilemma

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, I’m new to this website, so sorry if I’m posting this in the wrong section; I’m still figuring things out.

I’m getting a canary in July, but I want to make sure that I have a proper cage. For those of you that have owned a single canary before, or just have more knowledge than I do, is there a cage you would recommend?

Additionally, what toys do your canaries like to play with?

Thank you!

Reactions: Ali

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Foraging toys! My little guy covets most everything I have for Monaco the Eclectus. Fat perches, her boing, big swing, Marbella type toys. I'll get a picture of the things I've given to him for you.

I think I've settled on a big flight cage. He's so active, he is out most of the time. The biggest one you have space for!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
A flight cage (30" wide and 36" tall) is great as Monaco said. But with one teeny canary, you can go with a 30x18x18. That's the smallest I would recommend. The white Prevue cages are readily available at pet stores and are fine, with a couple changes:

take the 2 dowel perches out. Cut one down so it goes front to back instead of side to side. You want your bird to fly the length of the cage to be healthy. (even if you get a flight cage - do this)
On the other side of the cage, put a branch perch, wacky wood, or just a branch from a tree outside. Different sizes/ levels help with foot strength.

The feeders that come in those cages are usually open top. Get some tube style drinkers so the water stays clean.

Be sure to give him a swing, they love them. They like anything they can shred, so raffia, paper shreds, hay.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1: