• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best Brands

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
HI! I'll be rescuing a cockatiel
Or two in the future, and am wondering what Seed+Pellet brands are best. I've seen arguments over Harrisons and Roudybush for pellets, but whenever I search "best seed brands for pet birds" all I ever get is "seed should make up this much of their diet". Any recommendations on seed brands? And, I've also heard I should be feeding two or more brands of pellet, incase one goes out of business, but, is that really necessary? Thanks!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Feed the brand your bird will eat ;) Ask companies for samples. Mine won't eat Harrison's and only occasionally will eat Roudybush. They eat Zupreem and Lafeber readily though.

Seeds are seeds, so there isn't really a lot of variation there. I like mixes that are low in sunflower seeds. Higgins, Zupreem, and Volkman all have clean, good quality seeds. Just don't do Kaytee (they have dirtier seed and in my experience it's a lot of "dead" seeds.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I feed my tiels Volkman - no sunflower mix and Dr. Harvey's Collosal Cockatiel mix ( see link that Dianne @Lady Jane posted) If you buy directly from Dr.Harvey's site - sign up for emails - they often post sales and free shipping offers. My tiels like Zupreem natural and fruit flavored pellets.

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I am mixing the seeds myself, for pellets I feed harrisons and lafeber but they hardly get any dry food in general

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
Thanks, everyone! I didn't actually know you can ask for bird food sample, that's especially helpful to know! And, I'll have to try dr. Harvey's, It sounds like a good brand. So, I think I'll start looking for samples! Thanks again!!!:laughing2:

tikobird5

Moving in
Real Name
Mona Wolters
Feed the brand your bird will eat ;) Ask companies for samples. Mine won't eat Harrison's and only occasionally will eat Roudybush. They eat Zupreem and Lafeber readily though.

Seeds are seeds, so there isn't really a lot of variation there. I like mixes that are low in sunflower seeds. Higgins, Zupreem, and Volkman all have clean, good quality seeds. Just don't do Kaytee (they have dirtier seed and in my experience it's a lot of "dead" seeds.
I've been trying to get my Grey to switch from seeds to pellets because all I read is how much better the nutrition is. After months of trying this she still won't accept the pellets. I'm getting anxious and just want her to eat. She throws the pellets out of the dish at night. She used to sleep all night. Is it worth all the time and worry to get her off seeds or would it be better to go back to them? I keep hearing the pellets are a more complete nutrition and the seeds aren't all eaten. I just want her to eat. I'm losing patience and she's getting frustrated.

tikobird5

Moving in
Real Name
Mona Wolters

This store says it's closed

tikobird5

Moving in
Real Name
Mona Wolters
How can I reply to someone without using the quote of theirs? It says post reply but always has the quote with it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've been trying to get my Grey to switch from seeds to pellets because all I read is how much better the nutrition is. After months of trying this she still won't accept the pellets. I'm getting anxious and just want her to eat. She throws the pellets out of the dish at night. She used to sleep all night. Is it worth all the time and worry to get her off seeds or would it be better to go back to them? I keep hearing the pellets are a more complete nutrition and the seeds aren't all eaten. I just want her to eat. I'm losing patience and she's getting frustrated.
This is like asking if it's better for a child to eat just potato chips and candy or if you should keep trying to get them to eat vegetables. Seeds are not a complete diet. It took my quaker 6 months to eat pellets!

Some tips:

Otherwise, your other option is to move to a whole food diet with veggies, grains, etc. You can use a multivitamin in the meantime!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This store says it's closed
Which store? Lil Monsters Bird Toys? I had a baby less than a month ago so I'm currently on maternity leave :)

How can I reply to someone without using the quote of theirs? It says post reply but always has the quote with it.
You can use the @ symbol and then their name if you want to mention them without quoting them.

tikobird5

Moving in
Real Name
Mona Wolters
This is like asking if it's better for a child to eat just potato chips and candy or if you should keep trying to get them to eat vegetables. Seeds are not a complete diet. It took my quaker 6 months to eat pellets!

Some tips:

Otherwise, your other option is to move to a whole food diet with veggies, grains, etc. You can use a multivitamin in the meantime!
What's wrong with using a high quality seed mix supplemented with natural foods? Please tell me what do do so she'll be interested in the pellets. I used to give her Roudybush pellets a while ago. I don't remember why I switched back to seeds mixed with pellets. Most seed mixtures seem to have both. Today I mixed the pellets with a little orange juice I squeezed and some shredded apple. I haven't seen her eat unless it's first in the morning and that's just a bit

tikobird5

Moving in
Real Name
Mona Wolters
I think the store is closed for Maternity

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
I agree the best pellets are the ones your birb will eat. Just don’t give up- keep offering them even if they’re ignored at first.

For seed blends, my favorite is Goldenfeast. They have an Australian blend that is specifically for birbs from Australia (like tiels) Their blends are clean and contain a huge variety of good ingredients. The legume blend is also good, and my budgies also like the GF parakeet conditioning blend- I believe they have one for tiels as well.

Good luck with your new baby, can’t wait to see pics!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What's wrong with using a high quality seed mix supplemented with natural foods? Please tell me what do do so she'll be interested in the pellets. I used to give her Roudybush pellets a while ago. I don't remember why I switched back to seeds mixed with pellets. Most seed mixtures seem to have both. Today I mixed the pellets with a little orange juice I squeezed and some shredded apple. I haven't seen her eat unless it's first in the morning and that's just a bit
Seeds are high in fat and low in nutrients. A good diet can include some seeds but seeds should not be the cornerstone of the diet. As I said, you can forgo pellets but you'll need to do a whole food approach instead. A multivitamin can help them get the nutrients they are missing but a proper diet for parrots is low fat.

I think the store is closed for Maternity
Yes my store is closed for maternity leave as I just had a baby.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@tikobird5 African Greys are noted as most susceptible to heart/circulatory diseases due to fatty diets and seeds are very fatty. In addition, seeds are deficient in Vit. A, vitamin A deficiency is still the most diagnosed disease that veterinarians see in birds. Seeds also do not proved Vit. D3 which is essential for all bird, but even more so given that African Greys have issues with adsorbing enough calcium.

I really recommend that you put a lot of effort into convincing your Grey to eat pellets and supplement the pellets with lots of veggies and almost no fruit.

@RachelM The same for your cockateil, but he can have a few seeds as well.

tikobird5

Moving in
Real Name
Mona Wolters
@tikobird5 African Greys are noted as most susceptible to heart/circulatory diseases due to fatty diets and seeds are very fatty. In addition, seeds are deficient in Vit. A, vitamin A deficiency is still the most diagnosed disease that veterinarians see in birds. Seeds also do not proved Vit. D3 which is essential for all bird, but even more so given that African Greys have issues with adsorbing enough calcium.

I really recommend that you put a lot of effort into convincing your Grey to eat pellets and supplement the pellets with lots of veggies and almost no fruit.

@RachelM The same for your cockateil, but he can have a few seeds as well.
Sorry to say I've tried all methods to covert her from seed mixtures to pellets for at least 2 months. I can no longer watch her toss them out or not eat. It's giving me anxiety and worry about her eating. She's 20 and healthy so I'll put her back on a seed mix along with fresh foods. I tried mixing mash with her pellets, putting spices and oranges on them for the last few days. She might eat a couple but not very often. I take them out in the evening so she'll be hungry in the morning. If nothing changes within two days I'll feed her the best I can. I've been chopping up all kinds of veggies and fruits with quinoa or other healthy whole grains.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Have you tried Senior Nutriberries? They have some good things in them for older birds.