• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best Bird For me

Rufus

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi im considering getting a bird for the first time any specific breeds that i might want to check out and/or avoid I would prefer one relatively quite and chilled out as I am going to be travelling with it (mainly to and from collage) if i need/want it in class i dont want it to scream halfway through the lesson thanks.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Just wanted to say they are species and not breeds. See several on here say breeds and I find it so odd.
Cockatiels, linnies and parrotlets are all great.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hi im considering getting a bird for the first time any specific breeds that i might want to check out and/or avoid I would prefer one relatively quite and chilled out as I am going to be travelling with it (mainly to and from collage) if i need/want it in class i dont want it to scream halfway through the lesson thanks.

Gonna need wayyy more back ground info. What are you looking for? Have you done any research? Do you know that you can't use candles, perfumes, cologne, bleach, non stick cookware, oven cleaner, house hold cleaners, like febreeze, mr clean, etc? Do you have a job to take the parrot to the vet? Do you know the good types of bird food to feed and that most need a pelleted diet with fresh fruits and veggies daily? Out of cage time, proper cage requirements for species, how much all of this will cost monthly/yearly, etc? And if you plan on taking him/her with you, they need to have a harness? And most birds do scream in a way. I have a crimson bellied conure, a plum head parakeet and a green cheek, and they all can be heard from across the road. Give us more specifics and more knowledgeable people will stop by and give their advice :)

Hope

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hope
I don't understand why you would "need" or want to take a parrot to college with you? Any bird makes noise and could become a distraction in a class. With that being said, do you have experience with parrots? Maybe look at rescues. Let the bird pick you. But if you're narrowing down your options on taking a bird to class with you, maybe wait until you graduate and are in a more stable place in your life. :)

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I would also be worried about having a parrot in college with you. Thankfully when I went to college I lived at home, I don't know how I would have handled one living on campus or anything like that. I'm not sure where you are going but most colleges do not let you have animals in class with the exception of service animals. It will also be good to look at the requirements for your living sitation as like dorm rooms and such generally do not allow any pets at all, some allow a fish bowl lol!

Depending on your reply to the comments above I'm sure we can make some recommendations for birds that would be suited for you.