• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best bedding for a Baby Parrot

Small farm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Braydon
What is your preferred bedding for baby parrots?

I heard that non medicated chicken starter is a really good bedding as it is... -cheap and easy to clean out
-if the bird eats/accidentally ingest some it isis just a little more protein and not a big deal
--readily available

Your thoughts?

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Whatever you use Dont use corn cob bedding. That's stuff can be deadly cause if the babies ingest that their stomachs swell and block them from eating. I was very surprised to see that some pet shops still use that

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For day one babies, I used to just put them in bowls stuffed with tissues in a little nest shape to support the baby's body. As they age, I put them into a brooder with pine shavings underneath a layer of paper towels. So the baby got the cushioning of the pine shavings with minimal access to prevent ingestion. For large parrot babies I used to shred newspaper into a thick layer on the bottom of the brooder. If an under tank heating pad was used, I'd put a towel under it or a layer of pine shavings, with a paper towel and then a pile of shreded paper over it so that the baby could not likely burrow under and burn itself on the heating pad. I did have a baby nearly die once from swallowing a pine shaving and blocking formula from draining out of the crop. It took me a couple days to get it out because our vet was out of town and I had to do it myself. The baby ended up fine but with terrible stress bars on its feathers and took a week or so of very careful and consistent feeding to get it caught up with its clutchmates again.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used pine shavings for my red-bellies, layers of towels and paper towels for my conure and paper towels for my sparrow.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I've always used coconut husk covered with softer sisal in the nestboxes. Dr. Scott disapproves of any type of wood shavings even for adults but I've never asked him why.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Also I forgot to mention use a broader pad ,the put the BOXO Comfort bedding on top of broader pad. The broader pad helps as the baby chick's won't slip.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I am far from an expert on baby parrots but when I brought my macaw home he got a comforter folded on the bottom of his cage. He had a foot injury though so softness was necessary. It required regular cleaning but it worked very well for us.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've always used coconut husk covered with softer sisal in the nestboxes. Dr. Scott disapproves of any type of wood shavings even for adults but I've never asked him why.
Wonder why? Maybe bacterial growth?? Ingestion?? I never had issues with pine shavings. I would remove some shavings every now and then and replace with clean ones. Had to be extra careful, though, but Lucy and Ricky didn't seem to mind. Some birds might.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Wonder why? Maybe bacterial growth?? Ingestion?? I never had issues with pine shavings. I would remove some shavings every now and then and replace with clean ones. Had to be extra careful, though, but Lucy and Ricky didn't seem to mind. Some birds might.

Asper. Corn cob, wood shavings & coconut husk can all have asper.

Often with the cheaper wood shavings, if you run a magnet through it there are metal shavings from the cutting blades.