• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best and most cost effective way to heat an aviary

Mickey678

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bilal
i have a large shed that i am planning on putting an aviary inside. due to the nature of the walls its not possible to insulate them i can insulate the roof the shed is about 15 ft by 20 ft roughly and the walls are concrete a few inches thick. im keeping blue and gold macaws out there so i need the temp around 20 but i cant spend a fortune on electricity, it would be great if anyone could give me some ideas

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
but i cant spend a fortune on electricity,
I wonder if solar panels could help curb costs? Though I understand there´s not much sunshine in Brum.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If you are looking for cost effective heating, you must insulate first, or you will be throwing away half of the heat, regardless of your heat source.

Concrete walls can be insulate. Here is one way:

And here is another option:

I would recommend consulting with a local builder for the best choice for your area. Approach the project as if you are trying to convert the shed into a finished space that is comfortable for people, but also keep in mind that it will also need to be bird safe and easy to clean. Choose your finishes with consideration for durability and ease of disinfection.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
You may not be able to insulate the walls, but you can build an insulated aviary.
So instead of building it against the walls, build it “free” so you can use insulation on the aviary, instead of on the walls?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can insulate the outside of the wall. Without insulation you’re wasting your money.